Other options setting

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Engine, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engine

Engine Guest

Hi folks,

I just went through applications' settings in Protection tab and I discovered that 3 applications have enabled other options (apparently during the learning mode period). Those are:

1. DVD region+CSS free (dvdregionfree.exe) - install global hooks
    2. Pop-up stopper free (psfree.exe) - install global hooks
    3. ZoneAlarm free (vsmon.exe) - install drivers

Since I don't know for which purposes they have created such rules I ponder what I shall do ... leave them as settled or ...?
    Can someone advise?

Thanks and regards,
    Engine

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

They are all trusted applications and those requirements are quite normal especially the ZA one. Global hooks may or may not affect a programs functionality but personally I would allow them for your DVD and popup stopper.

Pilli

3. Engine

Engine Guest

Hi Pilli,

thanks for your response from which I drew a conclusion ... only trusted applications should be allowed to create such additional rules. However it leads me to ask you once more ... What you recommend when installing new applications, skip to learning mode or completely disable ProcessGuard?

Thanks and regards,
    Engine

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Apart from major patches I usually leave ProcessGuard running and watch the alerts. I it is a service pack such as a IE serivice pack then I would probably use learning mode.
    Most new programs have an installer which only needs "permit once" on the security tab so it gets permit once. When the new application starts you will get an alert from the main .exe you can give it the permit always allow, if it is a security program or Internet enabled then I would right click it in the security window and add to the protection list with the default allows.
    You may get further alerts for Global hooks or Service/Driver install when you start the program and if it is trusted then give it what it needs otherwise functionality may be affected.

HTH Pilli.

5. Engine

Engine Guest

Thanks Pilli for your comprehensive answer.

Regards,
    Engine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.