Other Memory Scanners

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I'm just sitting here thinking that if PG is protecting everything in memory, why would it be necessary to run either Spy Sweeper's or Ad-Watch's or Pest Patrol's memory scanners.

My initial conclusion is that it would not be necessary to do so, assuming PG's protection options are sit to maximum...all active. I typically have been running Spy Sweeper's memory scanner because it provides less load on CPU utilization as compared to Ad-Watch or Pest Patrol. Nothing in RAM is changeable unless I permit it through PG.

Flaws in my thinking and conclusion?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi SiliconeMan01, I'm not sure exactly what the resident tparts of AdWatch etc. cover, I have a feeling that AdWatch does more than just guard memory it may also include the resgistry checker.
    ProcessGuard's memory protection blocks access to the physical memory of protected programs.

Here is what the help file says.
    1. Protect Physical Memory
    Applications that run with administrator privileges can actually access the physical memory on your computer. Every program you run is handled by Windows using "Virtual Memory" techniques which help to protect applications from one another. If an application can view or change the actual physical memory, then it has the possibility to change anything at all on the system which is in the memory. Obviously this is a major security hole which if not protected against, makes every single protection mechanism on your system vulnerable to attack.

ProcessGuard however provides protection against all these physical memory attacks by restricting applications access to it. If some application you need to use actually requires physical memory access (a few security programs and games do), you can allow that specific application to access physical memory. This means you get the full advantage of protecting your system from this serious threat, whilst still using the programs you currently use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.