OSS- can't use it, can't remove it

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mangoman, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mangoman

mangoman Registered Member

One of the great things about OSS is when it fails to detect any opSystems, it will not uninstall because it needs to assign which opsys to then use as a default and it doesn't see any at all. This is rather frustrating when I am working from a functional Vista (got there is using F6 to bypass OSS during boot up; thankfully that at least works).

I am still trying to get OSS to see Vista and want to uninstall OSS so I can try another test. The current OSS on my vista opSys was installed from the Recovery cd, I want to install it from Vista and see if that helps detect Vista.

I put OSS on my 3ed (Data) partition
    Structure is:
    8M Unalloc | 30G Logical | 60G Running Vista | 50G Data | 8G Recovery

How do I get rid of OSS while still making sure I can boot to Vista?
    I see the main OS_selector.exe on c:\progFiles\acronis\DD, so could delete it. Also, could delete all the files on the (Data)\bootwiz dir. This should stop OSS from running but will I be left with a hung computer? What does DD and OSS do to the registry to screw things up if the programs are deleted without "uninstalling'?

I do not look forward to pressing F6 every time I turn on my computer forever.

I have already uninstalled DD, it deleted all Acronis files except OS_selector.exe. Now I can't reinstall DD either; get an error 'OSS can not find proper serial number. YOU NEED TO REINSTALL" When that's what I'm doing REINSTALLING! (typical of Acronis contradictions).

Oss wont run from Vista either (missing a dll that uninstall DD took out) and when bootin thru F6 get a start up error that oss_reinstaller.exe is not working.

Yesterday the opposite happened, when I uninstalled DD it uninstalled OSS and left all the DD files (this was the 2077 build I got rid of) I then reinstalled DD 2160.

Isn't this fun!
    MangoMan

2. rick299

rick299 Registered Member

Mangoman,
    Been there and done that also. With mine I was able to uninstall OSS by booting with the DD disk and choose install OSS and that will hopefully let you uninstall OSS.

3. mangoman

OK, I got DD and OSS reinstalled...

I F6ed into Vista, then renamed the big main bootwiz dir (on 3ed Data partition)to bootwizX to hide it.

Then I could reinstall DD (no longer getting errror message "You should reinstall" in the middle of a reinstall)and I then reinstalled OSS from DD.

Now my big main bootwiz is on the Vista C:\ so I will try to detect Vista again.

Probably still can't uninstall OSS...

4. mangoman

I accidently found a way to remove OSS!
    I am sending report files to Acronis tech support and accidently ran >bcdEdit alone from the command prompt, I meant to run with View switch >bcdEdit /v

After this I could no longer F6 past OSS (before it gave me "boot to Vista" option). So, I was forced to do a complete restore from the recovery partitiion (this takes about 1/2 hour). I was prepared to start all over (lossing emails, configs, reinstalling aps, etc... BUT when it booted back up, OSS was gone and it went right to my old Vista with all intact!

The recovery created a new Vista on the FIRST partition, which was empty since I made it for a future win98. It left the second partition with running Vista alone and kept it 'active' so booted right to it.

I ran the old OSS from windows; still wont see the old or new Vista. I have not tried to boot to the new Vista either, too risky.

tbc....
    MangoMan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.