OS X beta of ESET NOD suddenly causing massive ammounts of errors

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by Carbonyl, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Hello. I've been using the ESET NOD OS X beta for several months now. I'm running the latest version, on OS X 10.6.4, and I've really been liking it so far. Unfortunately, today I've encountered a massive problem that's brought most of my computer usage to a halt.

When attempting to run a time machine backup, my computer ground to a halt. After having to forcibly reboot, I noticed the following in the kernal log while looking into the console:

8/1/10 11:38:03 AM kernel ERROR(V): ESET OnAccess module for MAC OS X: 'Get path from vnode failed' at line: 3009

This message was repeated roughly ten times every second, over and over, until the log terminated. I've never noticed this message before. When I rebooted, my machine re-entered some degree of normal operation, but any attempts to access files on my external drive or run another backup all resulted in the 'Get path from vnode failed' message filling up the kernal log, and the operation hanging.

Any assistance in this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry no help from me unfortunately, but let's hope someone from the ESET staff will help you out.

I'm just wondering if you could tell me how the RAM and CPU usage is on Beta 2 ?

If you don't mind ;)
    Thanks, SweX

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Sure, no problem. At idle, ESET beta 2 takes pretty much no CPU time at all, and all four processes (ESET NOD32 AntiVirus 4, esets_kac, two instances of esets_daemon) take up a combined total of roughly ~60 MB of RAM.

During a scan, or during real-time access, esets_daemon sometimes spikes to ~100% CPU usage (keep in mind this is on a dual core system, and the Activity monitor has a "200%" maximum, 100% for each core). I find that .rar and .iso files, as well as some installers, tend to make esets_daemon choke, but this tends to be rare. This problem is VASTLY improved over beta 1, where my system would grind to a halt very frequently just by selecting something in the finder, because esets_daemon was monopolizing the system (sometimes for up to 20 min!).

Routine scanning seems to make esets_daemon take anywhere from 20 - 80% CPU depending on the file-type it encounters. Unless a full system scan is in effect and I'm attempting to multitask, I typically don't notice any system drag.

By the by, for anyone curious about my initial issue: It seems like ESET NOD doesn't like time machine's initial backup process. After consulting the console, I found that somehow my backups had fallen out of sync, and so Time Machine was attempted to re-run an initial backup process. ESET was making this initial backup process positively intollerably slow (~1 MB backed up in ~5 min, 120 GB total to back up).

I went into the activity monitor and force-killed all ESET processes. The backup then ran much more smoothly, and finished without issue. Now, subsequent iterations of the backup done on the hour seem to be moving at a good speed, even with ESET up and running real-time. 1 GB of backup can be handled in under 5 min, with ESET watching. Console seems to be cleared of the recurrent 'vnode failed' errors during subsequent backups, too.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great, thanks a lot for letting me know.
    And I have to say that it's a great job the OS X team at ESET have done by keeping the RAM usage at the same level at around 50-60MB as the Windows version:thumb: Wich I think is really OK:)

You see, I WAS going to buy a Mac already last fall but the issues with the yellowing iMac screens put me on hold.
    But soon very soon I belive I will go for the purchase after all since they were updated last week.

No reply from ESET yet I see.....:doubt:

Thanks again Carbonyl:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.