OS Selector keeps deactivating

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by hoser_d, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoser_d

hoser_d Registered Member

It seems as if everytime I reboot, OS Selector does not load and Windows just boots up. I have Linux set up on separate partitions, but almost every time I have to boot all the way into windows and open OS Selector and activate it and then reboot so that OS selector will run at boot. Then the next time I need to do this I have to go through the same procedure. OS Selector and Disk Director Suite 9 has been uninstalled and reinstalled numberous times now. And this has been occuring for the past few updates as well. Thanks for any help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hoser_d,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

As I understood your problem, you can access Acronis OS Selector only if you reactivate it in Windows and then reboot. Could you please let me know what operating system you boot from Acronis OS Selector then?

The thing is that Acronis OS Selector activates itself by rewriting MBR. The only way to deactivate it is to rewrite MBR. Please check if you use any boot loadrer (grub, lilo, etc.) or another program that can rewrite MBR.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. hoser_d

I usually boot into Windows XP. My other operating system is SuSE 9.2. However, I do not have the linux boot loader (grub) installed into the MBR, it is installed in the linux /boot partition. I install it this way because I don't want linux to interfere with the MBR.

4. Acronis Support

Hello hoser_d,

This problem is realy strange and tricky. Please contact support@acronis.com regarding it and provide us with all the information you can. Please also include the link to this thread into your request to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

5. aufsaufbremse

aufsaufbremse Registered Member

Hello Aconis Support,
    I have exactly the same problem as hoser_d.
    My configuration:
    - Windows XP Home
    - Suse Linux 9.2 Prof., Grub installed in the linux /boot partition

Sometimes the systems boots and a message "MBR 3 error" occurs, after that only Windows starts, because Acronis OSSelector is removed. So i must reinstall it under Windows. I use the newest german version of osselector.
    What can i do?

Best regards
    Christian

6. Acronis Support

Hello Christian,

Thank you for using Acronis OS Selector.

The only way to resolve this issue is to contact support@acronis.com and send us the 'report.txt' file.

Please create the first report file when Acronis OS Selector is active and the second one when it is disabled.

Could you please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you for the cooperation.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  7. aufsaufbremse

aufsaufbremse Registered Member

Hello Acronis Support,
    thanks for the quick reply.
    Sorry, but i can't do that, because it's a notebook without floppy drive. But will create report files for both situations under windows.

Christian

8. hoser_d

I click on that link and it says page not found.

9. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.