OS Selector ignores Linux Partition at the End of a Large Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ErnstB, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErnstB

ErnstB Registered Member

My new PC has a 200GB S-ATA disk.
    After installation of OS-Selector, the Windows-Partition is shown correctly.
    I installed a SUSE Linux at the end of the disk (20 GB) into a logical partition in the extended partition. But the Linux Partiton with the "GRUB" Bootloader in the root partition does not show up in the OS-Selector menu. I found no way to include Linux to the OS-Selector menu.

On my last PC, I had a smaller disk (120 GB), where the same configuration worked well.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ErnstB,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Please try to install GRUB in MBR, then please re-activate Acronis OS Selector and see whether the problem remains. Please contact us again if it doesn't help.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. ErnstB

ErnstB Registered Member

Thank you for the response.

In the meanwhile I solved the problem: I deinstalled and reinstalled the Disk Director Suite. At the first boot after reinstallation the wizard found the Linux partition.

I suggest to integrate a menu item to start the wizard directly. This would be a improvement for future releases.

Ernst ;)

4. gsaito

gsaito Registered Member

I had a very similar problem that got solved by uninstalling and reinstalling OS Selector.

I have two SATA drives and one older Parallel ATA drive which I use for testing operating systems. This PATA drive is a 80GB drive with 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition at the end, within which there are 8 logical partitions.

I have respectively SUSE 9.3, Fedora Core 4 and Kubuntu 5.04 installed on the first, second and third logical partitions (with GRUB installed in each logical partition boot sector). I also have Vector Linux on the 7th partition (which uses LILO). All that was recognized automactically by OS Selector when I originally installed this operating systems, just as it is expected to do.

However, yesterday I installed Linspire Five-o on the 4th logical partition and somehow OS Selector did not identify it. I was sure the installation was correct because I was able to boot Linspire using the GRUB installations on the other partition boot sectors.

The problem only got solved by uninstalling OS Selector and reinstalling it back. A simple Repair installation would not identify Linspire.

For the record, I have OS Selector 9.0 build 504.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.