OS Selector has hosed my laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Matt S, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt S

Matt S Registered Member

last night i installed the trial version of OSS. Upon reboot i get a trap 00000006 exception.

here is the dump:
    tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cf3=00000000
    gdt liimt=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base=00017400

cd:eip=0008:0000000003 ss:esp=0010:00060E58 errcode=0000
    flages=00010002 NoCy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
    eax=00008500 ebx=00000000 ecx=00306CF3 edx=8D6677F7 ds=0010 es=0010
    edi=00000005 esi=00060E90 eb[=00060E84 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

let me add that i already own Privacy Expert Suite and Partition Expert 2003.

I downloaded the trial of disk director suite because I am trying to repair two dynamic disks from another machine.
    I rebooted my laptop and that is when I get the error message.

How can I remove OSS? I have many boot cds (Bart PE, UBCD4WIN, Phrack, Operator, etc..)...

BTW I have repaired the MBR by using UBCD4WIN, still the same issue with the bootup.

I have always loved your software and raved about it, but this is unexcusable. The laptop has only one drive and only one NTFS partition (one FAT from IBM for recovery). This is as basic an install as you get. So why the crash?

Please advise. I don't want to hear about using someone esle's tools to repair this either. Nor to I want to hear about doing an in place install of the OS. Your software caused this, I want your software to fix it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please describe what is happening when you boot the computer? What screen do you see after PCI device listing? Also please describe how you installed Acronis OS Selector? What were the exact steps you performed?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Matt S

Matt S Registered Member

ran your installer for disk director and it said it wanted to upgrade my partition expert 2003. i also installed 0SS.

whe i boot it gets to your screen for Acronis OSS. when I click on the drive to boot to i get the dump posted previously.

4. Acronis Support

Hello Matt,

Please try to fix MBR either using Windows Installation CD or using one of the tools listed at Acronis Help Post. After the MBR is fixed there should be no Acronis OS Selector menu and the boot process should go as usual.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Matt S

Matt S Registered Member

well your mbrautowrite cd did not do it.
    windows fixmbr did not do it.
    so since i can't waste anymore time on this i just did an in-place upgrade

not happy

i have windows 2000 Pro--the cd i have is SP1 this means that I have quite a few updates to download--also this laptop has a lot of customized settings and permissions--this is going to take hours

unfortunately what i have learned in the process is that your technical support can only give a generic response --the same one for everyone that has posted a similar thread
    also it will be cheaper and less time consuming to use someone else's software

thanks but no thanks for your lack of support

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  6. Acronis Support

Hello Matt,

Please note that after you fix MBR there will remain nothing from Acronis OS Selector in MBR therefore there shouldn't be any Acronis OS Selector menu. Probably, I didn't get you right and the problem appeared after Widows started to boot.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Matt S

Matt S Registered Member

you are right there was no OSS boot menu, but the exact same exception occured (which I have only ever seen with your software, thus I assume it is directly related to your software).
    do you have any idea what the exception alluded too?

8. Acronis Support

Hello Matt,

It seems that the problem is not in Acronis OS Selector because the error remained after it was uninstalled (fixing MBR in fact uninstalls Acronis OS Selector because it resides in MBR). Since you have reinstalled the system it is hard to find out what was the real reason for the problem. Probably, there was an error in bootup configuration.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

10. Matt S

Matt S Registered Member

So I assume what happened is that Acronis OSS rewrote the ntldr and even though I repaired the MBR, thus removing OSS, the ntldr was stilled changed.

Thanks for the info MiniMax!!!

11. Acronis Support

Hello Matt,

This problem may be caused by Acronis OS Selector. Did you try to restore the ntldr file from Windows Installation CD or did you reinstalled the system? If the former were you able to boot after that? This problem should be investigated but it is difficult to perform the investigation now when the system is reinstalled.

If you encounter similar problem in future please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.