OS selector doesn't see new OS on second HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by wba2, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wba2

wba2 Registered Member

Hi,
    I just tried to clone my running W2k OS to a second HDD. It worked well, but OS selector (9.0) doesn't see it after reboot. What's wrong?

2. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

First thing... is it a straight clone of your C drive, to another HD??

Your boot.ini may not know about the other OS, as it is only during a clean install that this is updated with new os locaiton details....

Secondly, what is the drive letter your new OS is on... if you have simply cloned your C drive.. i doubt this will work. There are many considerations to take into account when cloning your OS in this way.. one of the main ones being the drive letter of the OS.. it must always be the same to avoid drive reassignment errors, as the OS references file locations, install paths, registry etc will all be from the original on C... and you can only have one C drive visible at any one time...

I suggest you have a search for some of my posts, as Ive covered these issues many times.. in particular, you may want to look at the drive layout needed to clone in such a way...

3. wba2

wba2 Registered Member

Hi, thx for quick response.
    I did the same some time ago with W98SE on both HDD's and it worked well.
    The target is to get two independent OS's which do not see each other. So drive letter should be C:/ and D:/ on both HDD's.
    How can I manage this? Can I edit boot.ini manually? Shall I install OS on second HDD first to change boot.ini and than clone the drives?

best
    WB

4. nusrat

nusrat Registered Member

This can be accomplished, but I need more info on what you mean by "do not see each other".
    During the times that you have booted from the second HDD, do you mean that you want the OS not even to be aware of the first HDD's mere existence? Or do you want the first HDD to be seen as not having any letter-assigned partitions? Or do you want the first HDD to be seen as having partitions with (different, of course) letter-assignments? If you want HDD1's partitions to be seen, do you want the HDD2 OS to be unable to tell that HDD1 has an OS installed on it? OR . . .?

5. wba2

wba2 Registered Member

Hi,
    with first "or" you hit hit the nail on it's head.
    Booting from HHD1 I don't like to see mere existence of HDD2 and v.v.
    Just like having two different computers in one case.
    best
    WB

6. wba2

wba2 Registered Member

Hi again
    I'm afraid nobody understands my problem completely. Once again: OS1 is working well on HDD1 and I installed OS selector, too. After that I cloned HDD1 (prim. master) to HDD2 (prim. slave), but I can't chose OS in OS selector, because it doesn't show OS2 on HDD2. Therefore I don't have any possibility to hide or show any partition of actually not used OS.

How can I reach that OS selector finds new OS on second HDDo_O

best
    W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.