OS Selector - Chain Loading Oddity

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Cheburashka, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Registered Member

I'm having an interesting issue using OS Selector 10. I'm obviously doing something wrong, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what.

The strange behavior is that I get multiple bootloaders instead of one - I will explain.

First, my configuration.

Hard disk 0 has only a pair of NTFS partitions, one of which is Windows XP, my default.

Hard disk 1 looks like this:
    Partition 0: Red Hat Linux ext3 /boot partition with grub
    Partition 1: Red Hat Linux ext3 root partition
    Partition 2: Red Hat Linux swap partition
    Partition 3: MacOSX/Intel

Here's what's happening:
    When I select Windows XP, boots fine.
    When I select Red Hat Linux, Acronis OS Selector sends me into grub stage 1.5, then into grub on partition 0. That's OK - its actually what I want for now, I think.

And here's the strangeness: When I select Mac OSX from acronis, I get an error-loading-bootloader error.

I can get into Mac OSX by telling Acronis to boot into Red Hat, which brings up grub, and then telling grub to boot OSX. But then I'm going through 3 boot loaders (Acronis, Grub, Darwin) instead of 2 (really 1 because if I get it working I can set the grub & darwin timeouts to 0).

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cheburashka,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please tell us what the sequence of the installation of operating systems was?

We can recommend you to re-activate the bootloaders of your Linux Red Hat and Mac OSX separately and re-activate Acronis OS Selector after that. You can find the instructions on how to re-activate Acronis OS Selector in the section 8.1.1 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

In order to get more information about re-activation of Grub or Darwin then we advice you to contact the vendors of your Linux and Mac OSX.

If the re-activation does not help then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Cheburashka

Kiril, here was the loading order:

Windows XP (pre-installed)
    Red Hat Linux
    Mac OSX

4. Cheburashka

Actually, cancel that -

Your post tells me to ask about "reactivation" some other vendors.

I don't have a "reactivation" problem with grub or darwin.

My problem is that if I try to go from Acronis to Darwin, I get a boot loader error. I don't get that error if I go Acronis-Grub-Darwin.

Understand?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cheburashka,

Please create Acronis Report as I've requested above. It will let us analyze the issue thoroughly and provide you with a possible solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.