OS Selector 9.0 (b549) installation problems

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by AcronisUser, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcronisUser

AcronisUser Registered Member

Hello!
    I have a problem to install OS Selector 9.0 (b549) on my IBM ThinkPad T21 (w2k, latest patches from Microsoft). During Disk Director 9.0 installaton the system hangs at about 3/4 of the installation progress bar, right after I said 'ok' to install the OS Selector. Only forced power cycle boots the system. Nevertheless the HD shows as full, although it had 8GB free before the installation. A hidden folder in C:, called 'BOOTWIZ' (if I remember properly) eats the whole HD space. When I tried to launch the OS Selector from Windows, it started, but Tools->Activate did not work, producing just an error message that it cannot be activated. I was forced to restore the system using a TrueImage file, what I luckily had. Can anybody tell me what might be wrong with the installation?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, AcronisUser

Welcome to Wilders.

I can not say what went wrong with your install, but my advice would be to try using the latest build #553, and see if it installs without problems.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. AcronisUser

AcronisUser Registered Member

The problem was simpler than I expected. It was an antivirus/antispyware software silently denying the installation. Now everything is allright, I can boot w2k, rh9 and freebsd on my IBM T21 without any problems. I was using grub and other *nix disk tools before, but now I see the DiskDirector is somewhat easier to use. Thanks to Acronis! Good work!

4. gsaito

gsaito Registered Member

I also had virus protection activated in BIOS, which may have been the reason for the hang on Acronis OS Selector reboot. I hard reseted the computer and disabled virus protection, but OS Selector would still hang just the same. What solved the problem was running the boot diskette suggested above to install a fresh MBR, which allowed me to boot into my active Windows partition, then running the Repair option of Acronis OS Selector installation. Now everything is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.