OS Selector 8 only sees one OS

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by jesusphreak, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesusphreak

jesusphreak Registered Member

Hi.
    I have two copies of XP Pro installed as well as Mandrake and Fedora, 4 total. I booted up this morning and decided I should make an Acronis Boot disk in case I need to use it (I didn't make one when I installed). So I made one and rebooted with the disk to be sure the disk actually worked.
    the reboot took me to the OS Selector Disk manager where I had the option to reinstall, activate, deactivate, etc. when I exited from it it constantly rebooted using the CD which put the computer in a loop. When I ejected the CD it told me there was no OS and checked for the CD over and over again until reboot which did the EXACT same thing.
    Finally I booted with the CD again and uninstalled Acronis. This, of course, makes every other OS unbootable except ONE version of XP. I need ALL the OS's so I reinstalled Acronis but I got nowhere as the Acronis OS Selection wizard only finds the ONE version of XP. How do I boot the other OS's??
    I have tried using the XP PRO cd to reinstall but every time it begins to load it tells me there is an error and it is shutting down to prevent data loss. It tells me to run "chkdsk /f" but when I run it in DOS I am told that I can only run Scandisk. Scandisk shows no errors.
    If you need specific details about the hdd set up please let me know.
    Thank you,
    Stephen

2. jesusphreak

jesusphreak Registered Member

Since I have access to boot.ini in my one bootable install of Windows XP, I should be able to manually add the other bootable entries into the ini, right?
    here's my set up:

DISK 0 (37GB) has two partitions.
    "XP (C:)" 18GB FAT32 with Windows XP Pro [this is the bootable XP one]
    "18GB A (G:)" 18GB FAT32 with Windows XP Pro [No longer bootable]

DISK 1 (149GB) has only one partition [used only for data within WinXP]
    "160GB (D:)" 149GB FAT32

DISK 2 (31GB) has four partitions:
    "18GB B (H:) 18GB FAT32 with no OS. Used for data.
    partition 2 has no name. 100MB "Healthy (Active)" [this should be Fedora]
    partition 3 has no name. 10GB "Healthy (unknown partition)"
    partition 4 has no name. 2GB "Healthy (Unknown Partition)"

Now that I look at this set up I do not know where Mandrake was installed. Maybe when I installed Fedora it installed over top of Mandrake. Acronis OS Selector still listed Mandrake however. It listed:
    Windows XP
    Windows XP
    Linux
    Boot from A
    Linux

In any case, I just need Fedora and the second WinXP PRO to be bootable.
    thanks,
    Stephen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.