OS isn't starting after disk copy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sodermanns, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sodermanns

Sodermanns Guest

I wan't to increase my drive size. therefore I tried to copy my 80GB drive into an 250GB drive with a complete backup. I have 3 OS's (2 WinXP and 1 Win98SE) and 1 data partition. It isnt' possible to start all OS's after mirroring the whole drive (TI 7.0 from CD-boot).

Partitions as followed:
    0: NTFS WinXP 25GB (Prim) Active
    1: NTFS Data 17GB (log)
    2: FAT32 Win98SE 2GB (Prim)
    3: NTFS WinXP 33GB (Prim) (Backup-System)

It is possible to start from partition 3 but partition 0 will hang before the welcome screen and partition 2 is searching for hal.dll

I read in the german computer magazin c't that TI8.0 will not have the problems with the welcopme screen. Is that correct?
    I tried the fix with fdisk /mbr but this will not help me with my problem. No difference if I tried fdisk or not.

Is there any change in TI 8.0 against TI 7.0 for that problem?

Regards Gerd.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Gerd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Transferring and Disk Cloning Software.

We regret to inform you that we do not support Acronis True Image 7.0 any longer. The system transfer should work properly with Acronis True Image 8.0. You may purchase an upgrade to it at our on-line store. If you encounter any problems using it please describe them here or send a letter to support@acronis.com with the description. We will certainly help you with any issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hello Gerd,

It could be that your problems is caused by True Image changing the cluster size of the file systems when going from your old 80 GB disk to the 250 GB disk. From what I have learned from these threads:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=77464
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=77463

this can cause problems for multi-boot systems with Win9x.

For now, I would forget about the Win98 and concentrate on getting your WinXP install in partition-1 to boot. Have you tried using the WinXP Recovery Console and the fixboot and fixmbr commands?

4. Sodermanns

Sodermanns Guest

Hi MiniMax,

I tried now the fixboot and fixmbr but without any difference. I also bought now TI 8.0 with also no difference.

For me it seems to be wasted money because its not possible to create a clone of my 80GB to the new 250GB. Its equal if I try to clone it as original or to clone it as user setting size.

Regards Gerd.

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Gerd. when you say "clone" is that the special drive cloning feature, or is it a standard imaging of the complete drive?

6. Sodermanns

Sodermanns Registered Member

Hi MiniMax,

till now I used the special cloning feature.

Regards Gerd.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  7. Sodermanns

Sodermanns Registered Member

I opened the ticket numer [Acronis #233391] by the support.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sodermanns,

If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please send me a PM. I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.