OS Install Query

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by khanyash, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I got HP Pavilion DV4T-1400 Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Pre-Installed. Didn't got Vista DVD. But there was an offer that I will get Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Upgrade DVD Free when Windows 7 will be released. I got Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Upgrade DVD. I upgraded i.e did a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium 64 with the upgrade DVD on my Laptop.

I have 2 queries

1. I installed the required drivers for Win 7 64 for my laptop model HP Pavilion DV4T-1400 from HP site. The drivers list also mentions BIOS which is higher than the BIOS on my system. Now this system was originally Vista i.e came with Vista Pre-Installed as I mentioned above.

Should/Can I upgrade BIOS i.e install BIOS mentioned in the drivers list?

2. My cousin got HP Pavilion DV4T-1500 Laptop with Win 7 Home Premium 64 Pre-Installed. But didn't got the DVD. He wants to reinstall Win 7.

Can I use my Win 7 64 Upgrade DVD to install Win 7 on his laptop?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You should see if the HP site lists what changes have been made to the BIOS in more recent release than yours, and decide from that if its worth upgrading. Bear in mind that if something goes wrong when flashing the new BIOS your system will be rendered unbootable.

There may be software installed on the computer to burn bootable recovery DVDs, an option to enter recovery mode when you first power on the laptop and the HP logo appears, or possibly if you press F8 when booting to go the DOS menu where you can select Safe Mode, if you select Recovery from that menu there may be an option added to the usual recovery options to restore the laptop to a factory. Failing this, you probably can't use your upgrade DVD, but the good news is that you can legally download and burn Windows 7 Home Premium ISO, burn it to DVD, and use that to do a clean install of Windows using the product key on the bottom of the laptop.

You can download the Windows 7 ISOs here.

3. khanyash

About BIOS - Original system was Vista & was upgraded to 7, so I just want to know BIOS can be upgraded or not, & you say it can be upgraded, right?

About Upgrade DVD - Why upgrade DVD cannot be used?

And whats Digital River website name?

4. roger_m

Yes it can be - the BIOS has nothing to do with the OS installed. But possibly the BIOS update may not offer any significant fixes or improvements.

If it's the same model laptop as your if can be used, if not you'll never an actual Windows DVD.

The main website is digitalriver.com but as you see from my link the ISOs are hosted at msft.digitalrivercontent.net

5. khanyash

My laptop shows sometimes charging & sometimes not charging. This is a bug & upgrade BIOS contains a fix. I installed BIOS successfully.

My laptop is HP Pavilion DV4T-1400 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC
    His laptop is HP Pavilion DV4T-1500 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC
    So, what you say, can I use upgrade DVD?

digitalriver.com - I couldn't find anything related to Windows.
    msft.digitalrivercontent.net - It gives error.

6. roger_m

It won't hurt to try.

Yes, you neet to go here to download the ISO.

7. khanyash

I will try it. I asked coz the maximum speed plan by my ISP is 4mbps. I have 4mbps but downloading 3gb iso will take a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long time.

I know the genuine download links for iso. Just wanted to browse official digitalriver website, googled a lot but couldn't find official site with Windows iso downloads.

Thanxx for your time & support.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.