Origin cannot connect to internet even after adding rule.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by AdventL, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdventL

AdventL Registered Member

Hello guys,

I am currently using Eset Smart Security 5. I having using it pretty much since i bought my desktop in April early this year.
    As my holidays are approaching, i wanted to update my battlefield 3 so that i could enjoy it once again during my holidays. However to my dismay, Eset seems to be blocking origin from connecting to the internet (it was working fine before), i do not remember changing anything in Smart security 5.

I have tried what is listed on this site:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2623
    http://i.imgur.com/0KBg5.png
    However i am still unable to go online on origin.
    I am able to connect on the internet on other things such as chrome, and other games.

How do i go about, unblocking origin and allowing it to connect to the internet?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: added a picture

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello AdventL

If you take a look on your firewall logs, do you then see a entry saying: “Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet” ? I was thinking that it has to do with ping. And this is just an idea that you can try out: go to advanced setup(F5) then go to Network, from there go to "IDS and advanced options". To your right select .. packet inspection then uncheck "ICMP protocol message checking" and restart your brower and try to connect to origin.

Regards, Janus

3. AdventL

I do not see any entries saying “Detected covert channel exploit in ICMP packet”, however i did go ahead and try unchecking "ICMP protocol message checking" and subsequently restarting my machine, but it still does not work.
    I am trying to get a screen shot of my log files when i start origin but i just keep getting spammed by 'No application listening on the port'.
    I'll post a screen shot of my log once i get it.

Edit:
    I filtered the time from when i started origin until i logged in(does not require a connection to log in) and this is what i got
    http://i.imgur.com/GbiFk.png
    Despite being able to log in i was in offline mode
    http://i.imgur.com/iWl4N.png
    Clicking go online does nothing for me and nothing special appears in the log files either /:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello AdventL

I can see that you have used the article How do I create an application-based firewall rule? (4.x) from Eset knowledge base, but that for version 4x, and from you first post you write that you are using 5x. Try this insted for version 5x: How do I open or close (allow or deny) a remote IP address on my ESET Smart Security Personal firewall? (5.x) . You can also try to set your firewall in interactive mode. If that works, I mean if it creates the rules needed, you can shift your firewall back to "Automatic mode with exceptions" Otherwise if anything else fails, then it might be a good idea to contact your local Eset vendor for support. (for those times I have needed it, I have recived a great service from my local vendor).

Regards, Janus

5. AdventL

How do i find out the IP address of the place i want to allow it to? O:
    I ahve tried setting it to interactive mode, the Allow/Deny pop up came but i selected allow but it came to this.

6. Janus

Janus Registered Member

You should be able to find the ip address by enabling log of blocked connection. See here : How do I create a log of all connections blocked by the ESET Personal firewall? (5.x) . If you are unsure what Ip that you shall use, then I would recommend (if you are able to ) to logon to Battlefields support forum, and use the good forces there to confirm that you are on the right track.

Regards, Janus

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. AdventL

Thank you so much for your help :D finally managed to get it to work.
    Thanks!! :D

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

You're welcome anytime, and thanks for feedback.

Regards, Janus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.