Orbit Downloader

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It has reports of adware, so I would only test it in a VM.

3. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Orbit Downloader V1.3.2 is CLEAN, no spyware/adware etc...

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Looks like a copy of FlashGet which i prefer.

6. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Totally safe, using it now after using FDM for a long time, this one handles all kinds of streaming media as well as Youtube etc. The interface bears a strong resemblence to FDM as well and there are no spies in it, fully checked with many of the scanners.

8. wilbertnl

Download rates...
    flashget: 585 kb/s
    Metaproducts Download Express: 640 kb/s

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  9. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i thing that i dont like in orbit downloader, there's no scheduler that is very important for a dialup like me.

stay with free download manager...

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What is the benefit of such a Downloader?

Gerard

11. wilbertnl

It's easier to resume interrupted downloads.
    Because the downloader makes multiple connections to the server in general there is a performance improvement, faster downloads.

12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I don't have much use for a download mngr. Can't remember the last time I was disconnected from the net.

Also OptOnline w/ Boost 30MB / 2MB doesn't hurt either.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Download manager can also download faster than browsers due to their mirror search and multi segmenting features, thats why they are necessary even for always on broadband connections.

14. Rasheed187

Btw, I think this tool is pretty cool, it´s the first DLM that I actually like, nice GUI, and it doesn´t use that many resources. And it also seems to be malware free, the only strange thing that I noticed is that it connects to http://lyricsday.com/ on startup, anyone who might have an explanation for this? :rolleyes:

15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thought I would try this out but from the start it continually tries to connect out so now I am not so sure about it. Any comments please.

16. Rasheed187

Hi,

Can someone comment on post 14 and 15? I noticed that it will always connect to ie7pro.com at startup, and if you block this in the firewall, Orbit won´t work anymore. So why does this connection need to be made? Of course, I have disabled "check for updates", so this can´t be it. Could Orbit in theory send data to their server? :blink:

17. user12

user12 Registered Member

Don't know if this will help, I trialled the earlier versions (not latest) and noticed (from firewall warning) two processes wanting permission to connect out, one being the p2p component (which I denied as I don't p2p). Could it be this process? I ain't sure about any specific outbound connections like ie7pro.com. Didn't notice anything else (suspicious).

18. Rasheed187

Thanks for the feedback, I forgot to mention that I also disabled the P2P part. But I was thinking, if it really was spyware, experts would have already noticed it, not? But I´m still not sure, I wonder if anyone can tell me if these kind of outbound connections are suspicious or not and if they might be able to do any damage, like stealing data? If you look at all those leaktests, you would start to think so. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  19. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

Works very well with flashgot - especially with password sites - seems to be able to get authentication information via flashgot without having to enter it yourself. Just flashgot link and away it goes.

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Scheduler is added with the 1.4.6 version. I've not scrutinized Orbit very closely, but as far as I can see, I've had absolutely no suspicious activity from it. It has no ads whatsoever. At startup, by default it checks for an update. What this has to do with ie7pro.com and lyricsday.com is unknown to me (I've not analyzed this yet).

21. Rasheed187

Actually, instead of connecting to lyricsday.com it was connecting to www.orbitdownloader.com, for some reason CurrPorts and Active Ports gave me the wrong info. But currently I see it connecting to ie7pro.com on startup, this tool is made by the same company that´s behind Orbit. I´m probably being a bit paranoid, because other than this stuff, it doesn´t seem to do anything suspicious. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.