Oracle Linux 6 ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

First time I have heard about it. Based on RHEL 6

Release Notes

Oracle Linux 6 on Distrowatch

Has anyone given it a spin ?

Edit:- Probably haven't heard about or seen it because it's way down at 111 on Distrowatch.
    I am not too keen on Oracle and personally would prefer SL 6 or CentOS 6. Don't know what others
    think ?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Ocky,
    I did. It reminds you of the Red Hat 6 a whole lot. It uses Firefox 3.6.9, just like Red Hat. You have to pay to receive updates from Oracle (something like $119.00/year). They've got yum.repos.d locked down fairly good. I tried installing Scientific Linux's release rpm but it wouldn't let me, but I got around that by unzipping the SL release rpm and manually copying the rpm-gpg key into /etc/pki/rpm-gpg and the sl6.repo info into yum.repos.d. Oddly enough you can install the atrpms, epel, elrepo, and rpmforge repo rpm with no problem. The download for the i386 version was 2.6 gigabytes. They also have a 64 bit version as well.

Later....

3. Trespasser

Sorry, Ocky, for my garbled previous post. My wife just about had supper ready and I hurriedly typed a wee bit too much.

Oracle Linux 6 is nothing special really. Sure, it was out of the gate first among the Red Hat clones, but is that all there is? Apparently so. All the while SL 6 and CentOS 6 (from what I've seen) have been updating packages (kernel, Firefox, etc.) and all Oracle did was release with Red Hat's original offerings (same kernel...2.6.32-7.1, same Firefox...3.6.9). It installs, looks and functions just like SL6, but with older components. And you've got to pay to receive updates. I was curious...so I tried it. Also, you have to apply at e-delivery to download their version. It took me two days to receive an approval notice (admittedly, over the weekend). The download speed was terrible as well (200-300 KBs/sec). It took 2 1/2-3 hours to download. I don't know exactly how long for I gave up and went out for dinner with my wife.

I "screwed up" my Oracle 6 install today while trying to install LibreOffice 3.3.0 (which I like very much...it can import and export .docx documents which my wife uses for her work). I just couldn't get it to execute properly. It would start to open then immediately crash.

All in all...a waste of time. But at least now I know.

Later...

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

so far i tried SL and loving it very much :p

the only disappointment in SL i found is no yumex package by default like old versions

many special thanks to Mr . Trespasser for putting his time and effort and sharing us...........such a confidential secret news that yumex can be found in epel repos :p

but still it would be beautiful if they make it default or at least in default repository like old SL ;)

also like thanks ocky starting a lovely informatics threads on......... autopsy(post-mortem) of Linux distro's :p

keep doing the great work guys :D :thumb:

6. Trespasser

Hey Mack_Guy,
    From what I understand they have a free public update site but it only contains what's already on the DVD. It was explained at their download site.

Later...

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yeah, thanks Trespasser for all the info.
    Bit disappointing that struggle with the rpm gpg key for SL6. Not nice. Maybe SL6 final will have it sorted.

8. Trespasser

Ocky,
    Just to be clear...I was trying to use SL6's repos as an update source for Oracle 6. Oracle wouldn't let me install SL6's release rpm. It gave me conflict errors at the end of the attempted rpm install. I also read within DistroWatch's "Reader comments" that this might happen...and sure enough it did.

Later...

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, I see - read your post a bit too fast. That's one niggle out of the way. Thanks.

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I'm having a look at R6 in a vm now, the only small glitch was to re detect the hard disk then it went on to install quite quickly. Oracle likes a minimum 512mb ram 20Gb hard disk. I'll see how it goes.

Attached Files:

11. Meriadoc

more screens

Attached Files:

12. Meriadoc

to the desktop

Attached Files:

13. Trespasser

Yep, that pretty much looks like the install. I chose Desktop during the install myself.

Nice screen shots.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.