Opportunistic Locking, Old Apps

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by fhaber, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fhaber

fhaber Registered Member

A friend, at my recommendation, is trying NOD32 2.7 on his Windows SBS 2003 "server." Although this is a domain situation, there's virtually no real server stuff going on, except for DHCP. Email is local on each workstation, there's no web server running yet, etc.

1. I understand that Eset's licensing allows this use, treating the server as another workstation license, since he doesn't need remote admin, etc.

2. He's getting extreme slowdowns on file opens and creation. Unfortunately he runs several very old apps, using Paradox (Win, 5/6/7/:cool: runtime. These require that the server deny, and workstations be blocked from requesting SMB 1 file locking. He's getting 30-second timeouts on file opens. And disabling AMON does not stick across a reboot. Is this behavior by design? Is there a tech FAQ on this?

His present AVG/win firewall/MS Defender setup on the workstations never gave trouble like this. He's reluctant to try additional copies of NOD32 until the issue is worked out. He owns the one copy, which is presently uninstalled for the above reasons.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, I won't address the licensing issue, as I don't believe what you have written is correct under ESET's terms and conditions of use. My understanding has always been that once a server is involved on a network the Enterprise Edition is required even if you are not going to use the full RA facilities.

As to your slowdown issue, make sure IMON is grayed out, not RED.

Cheers :D

3. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

also disabling AMON permanently is possible (not that you should do it), by unticking 'enable automatic startup of AMON' in AMON setup.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    On the server, you'll want to exclude the directories of these legacy apps from scanning within AMON.
    Also have the proper exclusions done on the server for the Exchange directories....even if you're not using them yet...it's still scanning them.

On the workstations...you'll want to check "network media" from being scanned with AMON...

The SBS server is "hopefully" doing more than just DHCP, as it's also running DNS and WINS for the network...workstations, when properly setup to be on the domain, are using the server as their DNS.

With the Exchange server built into SBS, including the feature of the POP3 connector....no reason to have e-mail done locally on the workstations, you're not getting the value of SBS with that setup. Exchange, public folders, backup of all the e-mail, Sharepoint, Outlook Web Access, etc.

5. fhaber

fhaber Registered Member

Thanks, everyone. As you can surmise, I'm not an Eset user myself (although I'm playing with the beta and greatly respect the program), and find the 2.7 GUI, uh, singular. I'll try again on the next visit.

The SBS setup will remain gutted for now - it's an upgrade situation and too complicated to explain here. Basically, they need the seats/hw CALs. WSUS and Sharepoint aren't even started. "Exchange, get thee behind me" is their wish. I oblige. And yes, DNS is supplied (WINS isn't even in the picture, although NETBEUI is, workstation-workstation). Don't ask.

6. YeOldeStonecat

Errr.....wow...NetBEUI...haven't done that in...wow....many years.

WINS is installed by default by the SBS installation.

FYI, there is a "Small Business Server Bundle" of NOD32 that Eset has, includes both Enterprise Edition, so you get Remote Administrator, and the mirror, and also includes XMON...the Exchange Server component.

What are the hardware specs of this server?

7. fhaber

fhaber Registered Member

Low-end for today. PentiumD 3GHz, 2G RAM, Mirrored IDE drives, 1 NIC.

8. YeOldeStonecat

There's 1x factor. Unless you have like just 1x user...IDE drives in a server role..trying to server files/apps to many concurrent users...I simply won't touch IDE/PATA/SATA drives in a server anymore. Experience has shown me over and over again...performance is..ugh. Especially on a heavier server that runs many services...like SBS does.

SCSI or SAS.

9. fhaber

fhaber Registered Member

>performance is..ugh

Agreed, under load. This user could virtualize ten copies of his LAN on one P3and get away with it. The load is negligible. This is a locks issue, not a load issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.