opinions sought re OA and Prevx1r

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Longboard, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I want to ask here about OA and my current set-up.
    Have been watching OA since inception and it has gone well, obviously.
    I have NAV/NPF/NIS running
    Have SG, Spywareblaster, Samurai,BOClean, Hostsfile, Teatimer, Spysweeper, Use FF with no scripts, spoofstick, customize google, block cookies. E-mail text only.

Do mostly regular scans with various free apps or online scans.
    Very cautious about running any exe or viewing images.

Occasionally end up on some odd sites while cruising.

The spam filter works well for me.
    Have not had any malware I know of for some time.
    Thinking about VM ware or sanbox type app.

Is there any extra advantage in OA or Prevx?

I know I may not have the tightest control of .exe or registry protection and am giving consideration to same. (PG can make my brain hurt !)

Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

3. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Not sure if you are wanting to add OA/Prevx1r on top of your current setup up, or replace some of your current setup with them?

There are advantages to both OA & Prevx1.

If when your NAV licence expires you went with OA AV+, you could have a HIPS + AV all rolled into one (when you mentioned just OA, not sure if you are talking about OA personal, or OA AV+).

The way I describe Prevx1 is an AV built from a HIPS core (there’s more to it than that obviously).

Both have generic antikeyloggers which to me, is an advantage to have, on top of any signature detection.

Both have exe and registry protection, yet both use extensive whitelists to reduce the number of popups you would normally receive from a HIPS.

OA has a ‘protected sites’ tab, to prevent DNS spoofing when visiting banking sites. And it has antispoofing protection for your email (as well as the spamshield).

Prevx1 has a rootkit detection driver, and also an outbound firewall (so if you use a hardware firewall it’s not necessary to use a separate software firewall)

OA has a dangerous content filter for websites (activex & java is filtered)

Realtime, Prevx1 and OA AV+ are the only security products I use (though I also use ShadowUser, that’s a slightly different type of program).

4. Longboard

@Bubba and Vikorr

Thanks.
    Over thge past 2 years since having started with NAV/NIS I have just sort of added various security softs as I found out about them (mosyly from here :) )

AM now trying to streamline set-up and not have too much overlap or too many pop-ups telling me about options I might not understand !

Am looking forward to ESET and V3.0 with Firwall etc.

Will check that thread Bubba

Vikorr, thanks your set-up sounds good, secure yet light weight; you didn,t mention your browser. ?No real time AV or AT ?
    I have also just been checking StorageCraft software; seem to have some interesting apps.

Longboard.

5. Longboard

heh, have been trying to wait for OA v2.0, but might rethink.

6. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi Longboard

I do use firefox with noscript, but only if I'm browsing dubious sites. Generally I use IE with high security settings and trusted sites.

I don't use an AS or AT realtime as I don't feel the need. I haven't been infected in over a year and half (around the time I started becoming interested in security).

I used to have lots of different security products, but eventually settled on OA AV+ & Prevx1 as the easiest and most effective combination (in my opionion that is).

Prevx1, due to its detection methodology - I'm fairly sure is better than any AT/AS for malware detection rate.

OA AV+ offers a very high quality scanner (the Kaspersky engine), which always polls at or near the very top of av-comparatives.org (I hope I wrote that website right) - as well as offering it's own HIPS components.

7. Longboard

Thankyou for your guidance
    Longboard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.