Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mr Wonderful, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Registered Member

My Trial license for Malware Defender is about to expire tonight and with no way to purchase this excellent product I have to find an alternative.

I was looking at System Safety Monitor and Arovak. Since I test software in a virtualized environment using Returnil I was unable to test them because of a reboot. So I would like to know if any of these two are effective. No compairing just if they are a viable solution.

TIA:)

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Nothing compares to mighty MD!! :D

Have you tried contacting Xiaolin at sales at torchsoft dot com or support at torchsoft dot com? I would be desperately trying to become the last paying customer of MD if I was stuck in your situation.

If all else fails, I suppose System Safety Monitor would be an adequate substitute now that you've blown the opportunity to continue using MD. :p

3. Mr Wonderful

I have thought of contacting Xiaolin. But since his program is currently not getting any support because of the transition I have decided to wait to purchase.
    I have looked for SSM website and have found nothing. Is SSM also no longer developed?

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I agree. Since you're on XP, one other option would be Real Time Defender. It works equally as well on XP, doesn't work for Vista/7. If you can't find a download link, PM me. Oops, thought you were on XP

5. Mr Wonderful

Greg this is for my xp machine. Check your pm.

6. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Please enlighten me . What happened with MD ? Is it gone ? Why can you not purchase it ?

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

Outpost Firewall is an excellent alternative. In addition to its firewall component, Outpost has a very effective HIPS component in both the free & paid versions.

By the way -- Arovax is to Malware Defender as a poodle is to a Rottweiler. :cool:

MD got sold. Its proponent, Xiaolin, went to work for the buyer of MD. MD *might* become a freebie. Hmmmm o_O

In the words of the Borg: "MD WILL be assimilated."

8. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Thanks bell man . So it was sold . Does this mean it is gone or will it continue to develop ?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it will continue to be develop and will be free software,it is not the same

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

A- Who can predict?

+When Jie sold Prosecurity, he assured everyone that the program would be continued as Realtime Defender. Didn't happen.

+When BOClean got bought out, it continued for a while (as promised) then got assimilated -- poof! It's history.

+Process Guard -- many others -- sold & gone.

+What does the future hold for PCTools? Not much, I'd guess. The AV just died. Threatfire not updated since last year. What next?

+Etc etc etc
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B- Right now I have a lifetime license for Malware Defender that I no longer cherish as much as I once did. I understand why Xiaolin did this, but it's not a game where I want to sit in.

C- So I dropped MD & moved to Outpost -- an excellent firewall PLUS HIPS that is light as a feather & quite well supported by Agnitum and by a superb support forum. Plus Agnitum/Outpost has ~10-years of proven ability to survive & remain competitive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: "Lifetime licenses" are easily absolved by selling the product &/or changing the product's name &/or simply closing down one's website & not answering the mail.

One might decide to sue Prosecurity or Diamond or Torchsoft or (whoever) -- all of them are overseas outfits which are (figuratively speaking) far up the Yangtze, in the tse-tse infested jungles of the Zambezi, or deep in the crocodile-infested outback, or wherever. :argh:

Wheee! Trying to go to court in one of those areas would be an overseas adventure worthy of Indiana Jones, I'm sure. Let's all get together and form a safari. I can see the marquee now --- "Raiders of the Worthless Licenses" ;) :p

11. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Lol . And I am concerned that Outpost is changing from one product to an all in one meaning lifetime licenses for just the firewall may not be honored .:doubt: Thanks for the info though . MD is now gone .:cautious:

12. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Glad I read this

13. arran

arran Registered Member

I recommend you try EQSECURE it is a good alternative to MD.

14. Mr Wonderful

Thanks for the input everyone! Right now I'm trying out SSM on XP and Outpost Firewall on win 7 64. So far I'm really diggin Outpost! :thumb: