Opinions on SSM and Prevx1

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by danny9, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I mention SSM free and Prevx1 due to the fact that they appear to run flawlessly on my system compared to some of the others I have tried.
    Both use very little resources and for the most part run silently in the background doing their job.
    I run KIS 6.0.2.614a, BOClean with SpyWareBlaster and SpyWareGuard on in the background.
    Would like to add one of the above to have more of a layered approach.
    Would like your opinions on past experiences as to which would fill the bill better as to effectiveness and what I have already running.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Dan:D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Quick version: in my case, i got lost inside SSM. It was fun, but in the end i didn't knew exactly what i was doing, and not stable with Prevx1. I don't advise you to run them together.
    In the end, i had no problem in choosing Prevx1. The easiest choice i made.

I guess it's up to you: do you want control for yourself? Then SSM. You can define pretty much whatever you want to allow to run, and how.

Do you want an "intelligent" application, that knows alot of safe programs (i mean a lot!), a lot of malware, and warns you when it doesn't know an application? That even if you run unknown malware, it has heuristics to analyse the program, and not only that, checks its behaviour with a central database? Prevx1.

You can guess i'm all for Prevx1, but in your case, you have BOClean, KIS, and SG. I think they can work together, but...

If you choose SSM, drop KAV's HIPS (or whatever its called). You'll answer the same pop-up twice. Annoying at least.

Have you purchased BOClean?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  3. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I purchased BOClean several yrs. ago. One of my must haves.
    No, I never ran SSM and Prevx together. Have been using them separately.
    Ran Prevx yrs. ago when they had that big star. Don't remember the ver.
    Tried several versions since. Always had some type of problem, like refusing to install or that constant lull when clicking and changing pages.
    But this ver. is another story, 2.3.0 build 10 has been awesome. Installed with no problems. No lull. Memory usuage is very low. I forget it's there.
    No conflicts at all with anything on my system.
    And yes you are right. Prevx is very easy to run.
    SSM takes a little effort and understanding to get it going and does throw up a few pop ups now and then, but not that bad.
    Both are very good programs.:cool:

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

:) Have you looked at the registry protection (SSM)? Parents and children, hooks, dragons and evil sorcerors?o_O

Don't get me wrong, it's lot of fun! And if you can understand it all, it's hard to beat. But i wonder how many people can handle it all.
    If you're here at Wilders, hey, the odds are better that you do understand and know where to cover the system. I didn't.
    Some users even wait until they understand the new features and GUI improvements in SSM to update!

Your choice boils down to what you want, control or just use the computer confident, and be warned when really needed.
    They really are different. Prevx1 an advanced AV (not really but...) with Heuristics, online community, and some HIPS capabilities, or a classical HIPS.
    If you prefer SSM, check out Prosecurity, also a jungle of options:D .
    There's another one that i'm not familiar with, but some users say it's good, i'll get back to you when i find it...

edit: look at this wiki: http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Someone,
    No I don't know everything. LOL, and I don't pretend to.
    SSM does require learning from people like me. Alot
    Prevx is alot easier to grasp and use.
    I am familiar With ProSecurity and did use it for awhile.
    I liked that one to, but I uninstalled it to try something different.
    Could never get it to install again. Kept getting pop ups saying it could not install driver or something similiar. Their support sent another driver but I couldn't get that one to work either so I moved on.
    Thanks for the help though. Appreciate it.
    Dan :D

6. muf

muf Registered Member

I use KIS 6, BOClean, SpywareBlaster and Prevx1 together. Along with Ad Muncher, Winpatrol, Browser Sentinel and Cookiepal. No problems at all. The only Proactive(HIPS) mudules in KIS I use are Dangerous Behaviour, Launching Internet Browser with parameters and Hidden Processes(Rootkit). I didn't see the point in having the other modules active in KIS as this would defeat the object in using Prevx1. With Prevx1 as my HIPS I have a nice quiet stable system. A sort of resident security expert to analyse and verify all running processes and files.
    I used the old version of SSM many moons ago and i've also used Online Armor. I didn't really take to the 'Full Control' thing and although I knew what I was doing I found it all too much maintainance. I want my pc to use and enjoy not sit answering popups every time I install, upgrade or patch my system. Very happy with Prevx1. It's paid for and worth it.

muf

7. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for the reply muf.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.
    I like and enjoy going on my computer.
    The pop ups just using Kis with proactive defense on can be quite irritating at times. I see your point completely.
    With the time I have, I don't want to spend it configuring everything that goes on in this computer.
    Prevx1, v2.3.0 build 10 has been running so nice on my system.
    I don't know it's even there, and frankly, I like it like this.
    Prevx1 stays. :cool:
    Regards, Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.