Opinions on monitors

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Acadia, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Looking for a new 17" monitor, either CRT or LCD. Need recommendations/opinions. This will be for a new, modern CPU with all the latest internals (which I will soon be getting) so it will be able to handle anything. I'd especially appreciate any links to reviews which, other than pcworld and pcmag, I've been having touble finding. 17-inch only please. Oh yeah, this will be used for some amateur photo-editing. Thanks a gazillion.

Acadia

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Acadia
    May i suggest the Sony SDMHS73 it is a superb performer and is normally available in the UK for £349 and in my opinion worth every penny
    http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=10_160_2781 :cool:

3. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Online and magazine monitor reviews are all fine and dandy, Acadia, but the only review that will end up mattering is that of your own eyes.

I had to replace my monitor just about a year ago. I found a couple that looked promising at Best Buy and Staples, but their display setups (low resolution and refresh rates to make all of their displays run-able off of one video feed) left much to be desired. Thankfully, the local Staples allowed me to bring my computer into the store, whereupon I happily tested every monitor they had on my own machine!

Like you, I was orginally looking for a 17" CRT (in my case, primarily for $$$ reasons) but, for $200 or so, I ended up going with the Envision 985E, a 19" behemoth that delivers up to 1600 x 1200 resolution at a 74Hz refresh rate (and lower resolutions at up to 85Hz).

For graphics work of any sort, a CRT is still the way to go. LCDs have made huge progress, but they're just not quite there yet.

All of the above is just my opinion and YMMV, of course.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Boy, am I really with it this "morning" (OK, getting on to 1:30 PM here but I'm not awake yet). Your subject-title suggested (to me, anyway) a critique of admin. and forum management here.

Oh, well, obviously time for another coffee. :oops:

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use a KDS XFlat 17" I have tried other monitors and I wouldn't use anything else. I believe I only paid $98.00 US and it has one very good warranty.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'd not spend the extra money for the LCD stuff yet either, especially if you need the quality. I'd only do one of those if you really need the space. I've got a 19 inch Sampo - and got it partially because I understood at the time that Sampo was the only company giving a lifetime warranty on the CRT, but I won't swear to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.