Opinions on GhostSurf or SpyCatcher?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I received this ad and liked the sound of the anonymous private hubs. On the other hand does this work in practice? Does it provide any useful protection against spam or driveby downloads? would it make me log in to all my sites?

And Spycatcher is included. Is it any good.

I probably don't need these, only, like I said, the anonymous hub thing might be a new layer of protection.

Any opinions? This is your chance to shoot them down!

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

3. HandsOff

Hi-

Actually that is a very interesting comparison of the then chosen Anti-Spywares. I'll have to take a look to see what their criteria was. It's sort of interesting to see what's going on when an anti-spyware, privacy protection software shows up and gets such high ratings. I've seen Tenebril's web site and can only guess that the marketing squad did not let the software engineers anywhere near when the content was written. I found it long on claims, but short on explanations. This should provide some useful insight. I am surprised at Ad-Aware's top position, but it may make sense when I see what their criteria is for rating the programs.

Just for anyone interested, these are the ten programs tested, and you can follow the link in the preceding post if you want to get the detais.

Attached Files:

4. HandsOff

I'm back already with a couple observations

You will find that you have to use the link in the left margin to read about #1, Ad-Aware. The other nine are linked to on the chart.

Incidently, there is a free version Spycatcher Express. My concern is that most of these apps seem to be designed for a user using Internet Explorer. I was hoping to see some enhancements for Firefox!

-HandsOff

5. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

I had SpyCatcher but after so many false alerts, I removed it. Major memory user too.
    To above pic, wonder why Zone Alarm scored higher than CA Assoc., since ZA's virus scanner is CA Assoc. ?? I use ZA/wAV and it's listed in task mangager as CA... btw it does very well in P2P by catching suspected "corrupted" files and stops dnld within 10 secs. everytime (so far...) using Limewire.
    I give ZA a thumbs up also. :thumb:

6. HandsOff

MW-

So Zone Alarm's virus sounds pretty good. I will soon be replacing my outdated AV.

They are trying to compare products that are not traditionally considered AV's. I doubt Pest Patrol would be considered an anti-virus. Somebody has got to do something about the terminology. A couple years ago security programs were using very easy to define.

Adware+Spyware
    Anti Virus
    Anti Trojan

had very little overlap. Now the line is very blurred. I'm not sure adware and spyware are really very clear. It seems like almost everything could be called adware or spyware. Maybe the distinction would be that AW and SW directly effect your browsing experience?

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.