Opinions on EZ Armor Antivirus & Firewall Suite

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Model-Behavior, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model-Behavior

Model-Behavior Registered Member

Hi,

I have been using NAV in all of it's various versions for at least 12 years now with 100% success. My current subscription will expire in February and I have had my eye on testing Computer Associates' EZ Armor/EZ Trust Antivirus and Firewall Suite which is free for one year.

I have recently installed this suite on a friend's computer and couldn't help but notice that the visual firewall interface is exactly the same as the one used in Zone Alarm Pro. LOL.

My poll question is:

Would anyone care to provide me with either positive or negative feedback on the EZ Armor/EZ Trust Suite? (i.e. Frequency of updates, reliability, Etc.)

Thanks! :D

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've moved this thread since it isn't actually "a poll". It seems like you are mostly asking about the AV parts, as far as frequency of updates and such, especially since you are talking about using this suite in place of NAV, so normally we'd put such a thread in 'other anti-virus software' however, since it's a suite with a rebranded copy of ZAP in it, I moved you over to 'software & services'.

3. Model-Behavior

LOL. Actually I was going to choose the Security Software ---> Other Antivirus Forum for this post, but since it was a purely subjective question I thought that it would be closer to a poll in nature. 'Software & Services' never even entered my mind for this topic, but you know best.

Thanks LowWaterMark. :)

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I've encountered update issues with this software. Could be my fault. The AV is very light on your system. I think it's a good AV and will use it over NAV anyday.

If you want superior AV protection, then I would search the web for McAfee 7. I've seen it advertised for $5.

5. I was stuck with this "anti" antivirus for almost a week and the only thing it prevented was me from disinstalling (un-inst... is a poor use of grammar) it from my computer. It "somehow" was "unable to open installation file", which was necessary for removal, even though I had the CD that it came on. (SP2 CD from MS) When I was in the process of installing this facade of a program (before ever launching it) my existing AV and spyware programs went off like a devil in church with numerous warnings of infections. I know that they're supposed to be turned off, but I had no intentions of starting it. (something told me not to "EZtrust" it.) }8-{l> System Restore had to be called into action to save the day like it occasionally can. My advise to you - if it aint broke don't fork with it, and if it seems too good to be true.. shoot it, it's probably a snake!!

6. Model-Behavior

Thank you MovesLikeSmoke! I believe that your problem was due to the fact that you had your other AV protection "on" during installation, which prevented a proper install and subsequently made EZ Armor impossible to uninstall.

Computer Associates is a very reputable company, that is why I am considering their software for a 1-year free trial.

But thank you again! I am looking for negative comments (as well as positive) and will consider your words in my decision. :)

----------------------------------------

Thank you Nod32_9. I can actually get the most recent versions of McAfee AV and Firewall for free, as part of my Internet service with Verizon and MSN Premium. That was an option that I was thinking about too. However, if I were to leave Verizon, then I would lose the free McAfee subscriptions, whereas the Computer Associates EZ Armor Suite would stay with me for 1 year no matter where I went; not that I was considering a change.

I just wish that Netzero would offer Broadband, at their wonderfully discounted prices. LOL. :D

7. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Download EZ but don't install it yet. Use McAfee until you migrate to a new ISP. Then load EZ for a full year of update. Just avoid NAV!

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Model-Behavior,
    I use the EZAV under that program of one year free. It seems fine. I did not get the Firewall suite because I figured if I already had ZAP 5.1 Why?

EZAV gives no problems but I think I've heard of some tests, where it scored only fair. Don't hold me to that now. :doubt:

9. Model-Behavior

Thank you both, Nod9_32 and Mercurie! :D

I did just that! I downloaded EZ Armor Suite and installed McAfee AV 9.0+ and McAfee Firewall.

On first glance, I love McAfee AV 9.0+! It found 3 "Proc Kill.exe" and 1 "Wind Kill.exe" hidding within my HP Bin directory since February 2004! With all of these protection programs I use, you would have thought one of them would have flagged me! What happened to my Norton AV and Ad-aware protections? Where were they while these little guys were hanging out on my computer? LOL. They weren't giving me a problem but you would think that one of the other two programs would have caught them.

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

NAV=junk. Shorted this flying PIG last week at 32.24. Covered today at 27.58. Looks like SYMC will merge with Veritas.

11. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

I like CA's Antivirus package a lot.

I typically sell their full blown version of E-Trust (a bit more expensive but the updates are free for the life of the product).

I have also noticed that CA seems to give out new def's (or what they call signature's) more often then what McAfee and Norton does.

The only reason I stay away from McAfee, is I hate that you have to login on their webpage to check for updates and get the newest signatures. I think its kind of ridiculous.

Personally I use Trend Micro's Office Scan Corp. Edition. But thats cause its free for me, and gets the job done well.

I have tested and installed CA's Ez Product (it was packaged in with the January Windows Update CD's that you could order from MS for free). I have installed it for many clients, none of which really had a problem.

The update issue that was mentioned above its really basic, I think. If the machine in question was an Windows XP w/ Sp2, there was a none issue with updates, but that was corrected (to my knoweldge). I see no reason not to try it.

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.