Opinions on Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by n8chavez, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Anyone have opinions on Deep Freeze? I'm looking for a replacement for Shadow Defender and this seem to be the most complete, now that it has MBR protection.

Love it? Hate it? Or do you prefer something else?

Thanks

n8

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hi Nate,

I gave DF a spin last year and it worked as advertised, but...

I didn't like that it's freeze-mode couldn't be enabled on-demand.

I certainly don't like 'rentware' - its pricing model stinks for the end-user (but great for them)!

Why do you want to abandon SD?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. n8chavez

Really? LIke most I think it's set up to where you can use it for life, but not upgrade past your license expiring. No?

Well, I'm thinking of leaving Shadow Defender because it sometimes does quirky things; like switching my firewall ruleset, or not saving my mail to the real disk, or messing with my excluded bookmarks. These are weird issue a lot of people seem to have, but "Tony" is doing nothing about it.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Excellently said and well put. This is what lots of people don't understand, that when one buys something they own it forever, even pass it on to their inheritors. Buy a TV and one owns it for forever and then can pass it to their children. However, newer models of TV are not for free.

Deep Freeze is the best and does the job very well.

Basically, like Rollback Rx, SD is quickly becoming a useless program. I am not sure if the so called Tony still exists.

Best regards,

5. n8chavez

Anyone know of any discount codes?

6. The Shadow

I'm going with what their website says...

I realize that a number of users have reported such issues, but to say that Tony isn't doing anything about it is both inaccurate and unfair (he has told me and others that he is trying to recreate the problem and correct it).

7. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

he still exists dont fret im sure hell take care of the current issues people are having :cool:

8. n8chavez

From Deep Freeze suppport

It seems I was wrong. That means that I will not be using it then.

9. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

well there is an 3rd option , da piratebay , lmfao

10. The Shadow

'Rentware' (as I stated above). :thumbd:

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

n8chavez, what browser do you use? Several years ago I had an issue with my bookmarks also after excluding Firefoxe's profile folder. After only excluding the place.sqlite file within the profile folder I had no more issues. It seems it was a Firefox issue, and not a SD issue.

Also, I had an issue with NOD 32 randomly being unable to update it's signature database after excluding C:\ Program Folders\Eset. It seems that was an Eset problem, and not an SD problem also. I believe that Eset saved needed info in other directories that needed to be in sync with the C:\ Program Files\ Eset folder that I had not excluded causing Eset to corrupt itself. SD was only operating as expected behavior.

I have seen other cases where the user thought it was an SD problem, and it turned out not to be. I'm not sure if your problems are the same as mine were, and some of the other users. Just be aware that it may seem to be that SD is at fault, and it may not be the case as with many problems that have been reported in the past.

As already mentioned i'm not sure that the person operating as Tony is really Tony. I voiced my concern of this to him by support mail recently, and he did not address my concern. He did address my incompatibility report of SD, and WSA. He asked if I still had the memory dumps. He just didn't bother to explain where the hell he has been all this time. It may be him, but I have no way to confirm this. Some users believe it is him because he posted using his Wilders forum account. Tony's Wilder Security credentials could have been easily compromised when the Shadow Defender site, and forum were taken over by an unknown person or persons. I do hope it is him though since many of us have been deeply concerned for his well being.

12. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

well when I used the latest Version which is 7.6 in 2012 just when it got released I experienced some strange Problems where my Computer froze and didn't do anything...This was caused by deepfreeze. I'm certain about that because after I uninstalled it and then installed shadow Defender the Problem was gone. Now I think of going back to deepfreeze for various reasons but I'm not sure if such freezing Problems still exist on Windows 8 Pro x64....

Can anyone that uses deepfreeze on Windows 8 confirm that it works properly?

13. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

personally i dont care if Tony is REALLY Tony i only care when it starts to affect security and program usability.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Deep Freeze is an excellent program and does what it says but if you have programs that need frequent updates it's kinda of a pita to reboot thawed and reboot frozen every time but of course there is the Data Igloo. One thing I noticed on my windows 7 systems that when I tested programs in frozen state and depending how many programs at the time that the reboots to discard the changes seemed to take forever to reboot.A great program all the same to set a password protected frozen state and keep any unauthorized user from making system wide changes.

15. aladdin

Not really!

All EULAs are written by software companies, which are in their favor and they don't stand up in court. Software companies are fooling themselves with EULAs.

Does, Deep Freeze have a time bomb, that it will stop working after 1 year. When I purchased mine, it didn't have the "one year" thingy. It is something new.

Best regards,

16. aladdin

100% agree my friend.

Best regards,

17. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

changelog gone online for Version 7.61 but still they offer the old download file.... Let's see if this does any better on Windows 8 although there was nothing mentioned in the changelog...

18. n8chavez

I thought it was a little hinky that a technical support guy would answer questions in regards to sales, so I opened a ticket. This is the response I got, and it's not good

~Private communication removed. See the TOS.~

No way am I considering using this "rentware" on my system. I don't trust the ethics of people that use suxh a licensing model. And if I don't trust them I won't use their products.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  19. The Shadow

Nate, as I responded to your original post...
    "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
    "And rentware by any representation still stinks!"

20. n8chavez

Yeah, I know. But there was conflicting information between what you wsaid and other threads here @ Wilders. So, I thought it best to ask the source directly.

21. n8chavez

I use Opera for both browsing and mail. The issue I was having was when I integrated IRC rooms into M2, which ceased to be an issue when I just added them to Miranda instead. Still I have had bookmarking issues. No lost mail, though.

22. n8chavez

Since Deep Freeze is now off the table for me, are there any other application that are intended to "freeze" you system state yet are relatively stable?

23. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yup that's what I believe. I will never buy a program that has a 365 days clock ticking down until it becomes useless. There are other ways for companies to make money. Lifetime license are perfect if they are implemented correctly.

As for the OPs question. Yes DF works as advertised, as long as your are will to pay yet another ransom to yet another company to keep your computer running. I much prefer to go with lifetime license or free software.

24. The Shadow

I understand your position and I'm glad you were able to confirm what I told you (my info was as of last year, so there was always a chance that Faronics came to their senses). ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  25. aladdin

I am surprised regarding your above statement. Deep Freeze like Microsoft always had yearly license for their corporate customers, mostly school, universities, banks and so forth. So, I don't think they will repent.

However, it seems lately they have extended this policy to the individual consumers. There are very few individuals who use Deep Freeze, thus their market share is very small and this market is full of headaches. One of way to get rid of these headaches is to out price them.

Best regards,

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.