Opinions of F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I know that the number of processes and the memory usage are major objections to F-Secure. However, I do not recall reading of instability problems or system crashes.

My own experience is that it is less troublesome than any AV that I have used except Avast Home.
    A recent installation of FS IS 2006 resulted in some icons not showing in the tray. I did not find that in the AV. I trialled FS IS 2007, and it ran well.
    I have returned to FS AV on my laptop.

So I am wondering if anyone here has had BDOD, instability, or incompatibility problems with FS AV or FS IS either 2006 or 2007?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, in the last week I have bought the suite for my main, and today bought the AV for my laptop which is not always connected. Personally after all the switching and crap I have done, I love them both and completely happy with each. I have had no issues with installing, updating or scanning. My OCD has finally found something it can live with and for that, I am satisfied. Both prducts get a A rating from me. So if you see me here alot less, it is only because I found some great information and over time found a product that suits me.

I realize some had issues with 2006, but as with all these products, some versions are better then others under the same name brand.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi trjam,
    Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosoty, why did you choose the IS on one and AV on the other. Do you prefer your firewall over the IS firewall?

Best,
    Jerry

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the laptop only gets turnd on a couple of times a day and has the router to protect it. the desktop is always on and even with the router, I like the HIPS and all the other cool stuff in the suite. Again, I have a 2 year license for Avira, but as far as suites go, this is a suite.:rolleyes:

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I ran f-secure for a while and had no problems at all with it. Very reliable and stable from my experiences. Only gave it up due to its high resource use.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Fortunately, the resource usage does not slow my machine very much, and is not a problem.

FS IS is the only suite I have tried except Avira. I liked Avira, but it had a couple of nagging problems, and I did not want to bother. FS IS 2007 ran flawlessly during the trial.

Best,
    Jerry

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

FSAV 2007 runs like a charm here :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just to point out the main reason i dumped f-secure was because it slowed down my system to much.
    also it was because i found lots of red entries in event viewer saying timed out on scanning such and such file.
    for ages it worked fine thou.
    I think most of the blue screens where caused by spysweeper.
    btw the firewall can sometimes fail but the rest of the av always loads up correctly at least on my pc
    lodore

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

lodore please clarify in the future that what you base your reasoning on is the 2006 product, not the 2007. That would be like me trying to compare Kasperskys version 4 engine to todays. Big difference.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

F-Secure have a very good detection but it's very heavy on resources...

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i infact started with the f-secure 2005 version that ran fine.
    i had someproblems with the 2006 version like the little red icon above the blue f-secure icon that means automatic updates failed but i think most people had that.
    i tryed the 2007 version very breifly but the deepguard on normal settings blocked my sound card driver. so i had to ask it to ask on all actions which meant you have to say yes to about 50 questions during a normal printer installation.

lodore

12. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Since ditching Norton last year, I have tried FSIS 2006 & 2007, Bit Defender IS 9 & 10, Zone Alarm IS 6.0 and 7.0, Kaspersky IS 6.0 and Norton IS 2007. Of all of these, I like FSIS the best. That's not to say it doesn't come with baggage. The 2006 version caused shutdown problems, which is why I uninstalled it and went through all the rest, but in the end, after a lot of deliberations, I decided to try out the 2007 version, and found it like the return of an old friend. I do still have a problem with the Full System Scan, which won't complete, but it's the spyware scan that causes the problem, and I think the issue is isolated to my PC, so I just use the Scan Hard Drives option, and use Super Anti-Spyware as my on demand spyware scanner.

I also think KIS is a great suite, and worked without any problems on my machine, but for some reason, I still favour FSIS 2007, despite the scanning issue, and the fact that it's incompatible with some other security products. While it may have lots of running processes, it seems to cause slightly less drag on web traffic scanning, and I don't get as many firewall / PDM pop ups as I did with KIS. There is also the opinions of some, that FSIS is more secure than KIS, but I have nothing to substantiate that.

On my machine, KIS worked perfectly. FSIS 2007 does have it's quirks, but I still like it better than all the rest. It hasn't caused any slowdown on my PC (apart from a slightly slower boot up than with KIS, but still nothing compared to Norton 2007), and I believe that my connection speed is actually faster with FSIS. On an older machine, maybe I would go for KIS, due to the fact that it's lighter on resources, but on a less than 2 year old PC, especially with a clean(ish) Windows installation, I would recommend FSIS 2007 every time. It's also cheaper than most of the others, especially the OEM version, which can be purchased from online retailers. The CD is bootable, enabling virus cleaning for very sick machines.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

f-secure is fantastic,

if i didnt have my dr.web, the AV 2007 would be on my laptop. :D

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well for the cost of spam protection, ole F may be on your computer sooner, then later.:rolleyes:

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

we will see how it all turns out, i like the doctor too much to just 'give up' on them because of this.

they just have some marketing issues as one user stated

and f-secure (like many) will not delete infected archives but mainly just report on them, dr.web is one of FEW maybe unique, that will delete the infected file from within the archive and keep the archive on your machine, without the infected file within.

dr.web has alot too offer, i love the software and the company as a whole, im just puzzled by this latest news of chargin for the spam.

16. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Maybe im out of line in respect of moderators but the thread is about f-secure and i don't have any problem with ur fantastic news about dr web but ur continuesly spamming doesn't make me wanna buy the product really! Infact i consider spamming to be virus behaviour. Are you a new sort highly advanced virus?

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know you read it so i can retract it from the message :d

my post was about f-secure, and the 2nd was just a reply to trjam.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh hell, lets get on the bandwagon, Nod32 is the best. F Secure seemed ok until it didt update for 2 days.

19. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

Have tried a number of a/v programs and am sticking with FSAV 2007. I know it loads a number of processes, but doesn't slow my machine at all. All in all, it's all I need with a good router and BOclean, just in case.

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

When it happened to you? I haven't seen any problem about updates on FSAV 2007 from 11 days back when installed the software :blink:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I bought a family license for Nod32. I am sorry, but it is my flavor of the month.:cool: Ok, F Secure is good but mine didnt update for 2 days untill I rebooted and my settings are correct. Bottom line, I just want something simple and secure and Nod is it. I really do buy my products. I also feel a little guilty about something, but that is my own thing to deal with.o_O

22. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have had a couple of BSOD with F-Secure IS 2007 when it first came out. Apparently, it did not like the driver for linksys wireless card. I have recently reinstall the newest version of F-Secure 2007 and haven't seen any problems..

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses. F-Secure has about replaced KAV as my favorite. I have confidence that Kaspersky will get the bugs out of MP2, but I have to wonder if the version that includes the improved heuristics will be buggy.

I may have to stay with MP1 for a long time. In the meantime, I plan to keep FS on my laptop. It is about as good an "install and forget" AV as anything I have tried, and I like that. I hate to have to try to trouble shoot (with a lot of help of course) when a new or major change is made.

I guess the load on the system prevents F-Secure from being as popular as some other AVs, but there seems to be few problems with it, other than the load. Although it takes a minute or so longer to load and the system become ready than some others, that is not a big problem for me.

Thanks, again for the information.
    Jerry

24. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

I can see that there are a number of people out there that like FSIS,but tell us why. Is the firewall superior to others? Is the ant-spam affective? Is the AS part of the suite as good as the free ones out there?Are the scans slow or fast?.....tell us more. :D

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have to be honst here.
    the only av that hasnt caused me any problems during testing is nod32.
    second was kaspersky
    sure i had some good times with f-secure but in the end the ties broke and i dumped it.
    i really need to get my pc sorted out thou. so it works all the time rather than when it feels like it.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.