Opinions of Comodo Firewall Pro 3.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 3xist, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3xist

3xist Guest

We all have our own opinions about certain Firewalls, right? :rolleyes: So what are your opinions about Comodo Firewall Pro 3?:D

Best,

3xist. :)

2. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I think it's a fantastic piece of free software and definitely my favourite firewall that I've used so far.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

Of the freeware software FWs I like both Comodo 3.0 and Comodo 2.4, as well as OA free, and use them all depending what drive/computer I'm on at the time. All imo are light years ahead of ZA free.
    Of the Comodo products, I like the fact that you can group/& rename these grouped rules in 3.0, the great PU explanation PUs Comodo implemented in 3.0, and being able to password protect the FW, although I would like to see a global password for the GUI where when you enter the GUI you don't have to constantly re-enter the password to navigate. ​
    In Comodo 2.4, I like being able to navigate quickly (& easily) in it's GUI from the active-connections/Logs window to the network rule window if you need to modify/or add an allow single ip rule above a 'net range block. What I don't like about 2.4 is that it every once-in-a-while it loses most of it's 'net rules which can only be backed up by running 'script. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Comodo is supporting 2.4 anymore, as I'm glad that I moved from ZAfree to 2.4 and didn't directly jump from ZAfree to 3.0.
    I believe there's room for both 2.4 and 3.0, 2.4 as an entry level firewall for novices (1st time users or users that have only used ZA free), before jumping directly to 3.0 and getting frustrated by the learning curve. The only reason I still run 2.4 on one drive is that it plays better with KAV than 3.0 and I had just purchased a year of KAV and hated to let it go to waste. It's too bad that Nod32 isn't price competitive with it's AV competitors, as I had no problems with the NOD32 trial with any of the FWs. ​

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Its a nice free firewall but Im not keen on its Defence+.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

you can not install it right?

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Same here, Comodo 3 with D+ disabled is a nice low resource free firewall. D+ is a nightmare that never really quiets down, so the user never really knows what he is dealing with when a prompt appears. Its a perfect example of pop-up fatigue.

7. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

From what I've read on the forums is that they are working on D+, so maybe in the future it'll be better.

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Not true Diver. D+ will calm down once all your apps are learned. I only get D+Alerts when I install something. I manually added all my programs into the firewall D+ policy's so I wouldn't get so many alerts or lock ups. I have over 250 programs in my pc and Comodo is quiet. I have Comodo on my laptop and desktop and it is very quiet. D+ can be overwhelming at first but give it a week after you have used all your programs and it will calm down. Trust me on this.

9. Dieselman

My opinion..................goes like this. Comodo is not for novices but it comes with a great help file system and good customer support. If you have time and patience to understand and learn Comodo its the most powerful firewall on the market. Voted Editors choice by PC Mag and CNET gave it 5 stars. ConsumerSearch voted it the best free firewall. I have never had any problem with Comodo on both my pc's. It runs great and doesn't slow me down. I like that it is completely customizable to suit anyones needs. Best of its free with no strings.

10. Dogtag

Dogtag Registered Member

I have to agree with diver here, i loved 2.4 but had a maked impact on my speed, so when 3.0 came out i trialed for about 3-4 weeks and D+ was a nightmare.Comodo is ideal for those who like to highly configure to their hearts content, but for me i like to sit back and let my firewall do the work for me?

Dogtag

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes you get the option of disabling it on install.

12. Dieselman

You could also have changed your D+ and firewall settings to "training" mode for a week. When is the last time you tried it? The white list has grown very large now. Like I said in all honesty and not being a fan boy either but Comodo with D+ doesn't give me and alerts on my desktop and laptop. But I also went in and added all my programs manually to speed up the learning. I only get alerts when I install something. Period.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

is safe to install only the firewall & leak test

i did notice that with this install (firewall & leak protection) , i have in comodo defense+ installed too

i mean defense+ is like have a program like threatfire inside the firewall?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  14. despuesvengo

despuesvengo Registered Member

mantra

it happened to me too, even having D+ unticked, comodo installed it anywayo_O o_O
    and after that, after 1 reboot it started to freeze completeley....and that was the last minute comodo was on my pc.

and will never be again.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but is comodo secure with my install setting ?
    or the full install is the secure version

16. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i think its excellent

17. Dieselman

Install Comodo with D+. Thats all.

18. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

That is because defense+ was suppose to be installed. Selecting leak protection activates defence+ with a couple of settings to provide good protection with minimal popups.

Maybe it froze from learning so many programs but i never had any problems.

19. Dogtag

Dogtag Registered Member

Hi Dieselman

The last time i tried was the first official release, honestly i did enjoy 2.4 and was eagerly awaiting V3, but when it came it just wasn't for me.I did give it the chance to settle down, trained with safe mode ect.... but nothing i did seemed to make the difference.
    2.4 ideal for beginers, 3.0 for the enthusist.But a good FW all the same.

Dogtag

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Comodo 3? An attempt to make a best-in-class HIPS which works for some and doesn't work for others while failing to deliver a top-notch packet filter and with serious UI flaws.
    It has potential, but it needs hard work.

21. Togg

Togg Registered Member

I was happy with 2.4 and am still happy with 3.0 with Defense+ enabled. However, you need to pay close attention to the popups, or it will bite you in the butt and remember some decision you later wish it hadn't!

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Perhaps not true for you. I have relatively few programs on my computer. If I run them D+ gives one response. Try to save a file, another response. Print something, another.

I don't know what you are doing with those 250 programs, but you probably have not tried every possible combination.

D+ might quiet down, but it does not go away. Even one alert every few days is too much. Perhaps you think that is acceptable.

23. Dieselman

I am a gamer Diver. Plus I have other programs on my pc. You only get an alert the first time you do something. After that it is learned. I DO NOT GET ANY ALERTS unless I am installing something new. I avoid alerts for the first wekk you could have out D+ in training mode. OA gave me alerts also but it calms down. Patience is a virtue.

24. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Intelligence is a virtue. As I have always said to make a lot of popups is not a sign of intelligence or power, it is rather a sign of a paranoia. The real intelligence is to keep silence, but to alert when it is REALLY NEEDED. So ... real estimate of s/w is not just a tests passing, but test passing divided on the number of the popups divided on ( 10 * the number of the FPs).

25. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You could enter SuperantiSpyware under Firewall/Firewall Tasks/Common Tasks/Define a New Trusted Application

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.