Opinions about Java and Windows XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pretender, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Haven't used XP for long and just found out that Java isn't installed. I seem to remember a conflict between Microsoft and Sun and perhaps that's why Java isn't included with XP?!? Anyway, would be interested on thought's about using Java with XP. Some have said that there are a lot of vulnerabilities within the Java software?........What have users experienced?

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey pretender,
    umm... i dun think... its too good a webworld... without java .. its whole new world ... with java... and regarding vulnerabilitiz... can u say.. windows OS is not itself vulnerable software... i personally feel windows 2000 proffessional is a good alternative.. ofcourse if not the best... i like xp.. but for java not bein thr... i wud prefer not to use it
    thx

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Pretender.

I have used the java program from SunMicro and it worked well.
    They do update occasionally.
    It comes in handy if you play java games online.
    SunMicro's java is easier to get IMO.
    With SunMicro's java program there is an icon in the control panel on XP.
    You can view the cache, clear it,and adjust the cache size from there.

I think the lawsuit is the reason why M$ doesn't install it's own java.

I have read that there was a vulnerability in SunMicro's java.I wasn't affected when I gamed online.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use the opera browser on xp pro and I have installed Sun Java 1.4.1 as the default java program and it works great. As far as security goes good judgment is always required as to the java settings you use with your browser. There are some good post's here at wilders pertaining to java settings. I don't remember exactally where but if I see them I will post the link here.

5. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I took a gamble and installed Java from Sun. Java j2re1.4.2_03 and haven't had any problems so far. It's my understanding that the lawsuit did stop Microsoft from including either the Microsoft Virtual Machine or any Java software at some point. Some XP version have MVM and later versions of XP don't. Microsoft VM is available on the web, but I decided to go to Sun Java instead. :eek:

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The java that microsoft was useing was actually an old version. The one you got from Sun java should work for you very well. And they do update it ever so often. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.