Opinion: ZASS 7 or Norton 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sjoeii, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

As you can see I love your opinion.

Which do you think is best ZASS 7 or NIS 2007o_O

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

No one dares to give an opinion?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wouldnt use norton.
    zone alarm seems to have alot of problems and is getting more bloated.
    lodore

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

use norton,zonealarm has way to many probs........

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or dont use eiether....
    lodore

6. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Between these two, it would be Norton for me. Why? For one, read the ZA forums. So many problems, so few solutions. I have to give Symantec their due for cutting the fat from the '07 versions of their IS and AV.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i havent tried either, but id lean closer to NIS2007. from what ive read the 2007 products have become quite light and the firewall isnt half bad.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

If those were my only two choices,I would throw my pc out the window.sorry not a fan of zone alarm or norton,and yes I have tryed both.not the new version but older ones.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

No experience with either of those. However, my logic tells me that Norton is a proven product, whether one likes it or not. From comments here some good improvements have been made in the 2007 version.

ZA has been a well used firewall, but how well it is integrated into the suite, I don't think that experience so far is sufficient to know how it runs on many computers.

With an absence of long term experience and reports, I would go with Norton. Boy, NOW I am in trouble.;)

Best,
    Jerry

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

If the load up time with NAV/NIS 2007 wouldn't take so long on my PC, Norton would be my choice. After loading, Norton ran very light on my PC. I tried ZASS 7, I just didn't like it.

11. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I dont really see any noticable difference on my PC with Norton when it comes to boot-up time.

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Maybe there is something my PC doesn't like about Norton, or Norton doesn't like about my PC. I've tried both NAV 07 and NIS 07. Installs went without a problem. Browsing web pages was no problem. I even checked my speeds at Speakeasy.com, and found the speeds comparable to KAV and even NOD32. It even ran better than McAfee. But then I rebooted. It took about five minutes after the Windows welcome screen for all my desktop icons to load, and for the Norton icon to load in the taskbar. I tried several times with always the same thing happening. If it weren't for that, Norton would be on my PC now.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

If ZASS will sort out main bugs it will be definitively better than NIS except for memory footprint.

- Better AV detection and speed of signature updates (Kaspersky)
    - Better HIPS and leaks test performace (OSfirewall)
    - More customisable outbound program control and privacy features
    - Better Antispam
    - Better support (ZA forum)

Fax
    P.S. Please avoid to come back with jokes about ZA bugs :D :D :p

14. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

the question is when?,it has been over a month and half....

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would go without anything rather than do Norton again. Three years ago I would have said that ZASS was the best, but the new company has ruined their reputation. There are too many possibilities for problems now. I would research other possibilities. Keep an eye out for Esets upcoming suite.

16. fax

fax Registered Member

Been using Norton 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 and I have to say that 2007 version is a major improvement compared to previous versions... Small memory footprint (if you don't install the optional pack) and quite stable overall!

In other words, Norton has changed quite drammatically...

Fax

17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

It is true that the bugs users have purchased from ZA are not funny. What are the main bugs? "If ZASS will sort out main bugs..." why is there doubt in mind about ZA "sorting"?

Is this a recommendation to use Norton 2007 now while waiting for main ZASS bugs to get fixed? Then switch to ZASS?

What about the Vista users? They are warned about feature changes on ZA web page, what features will possibly change? This is missing from the ZASS prediction list provided.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

Vista? It will be released when its ready.
    Did the user ask for comparing ZASS and NIS for Vista?

Who said to use norton instead of ZASS? o_O
    You are going way off topic sorry... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Fax

19. Escalader

Off topic? No, just no answers to the last questions put.
    Fortunately in this forum off topic is determined by moderators.

Moderator, are the question's off topic?

The original post was a request for opinions ZASS 7 or Norton 2007, from your response to a don't use NORTON post it was it is improved, on a stay clear of ZASS 7 opinion it was wait for brighter days "IF".

Exactly what was the opinion then? Please explain.

The rest of the recent posts here on this topic lean to between these 2 use NORTON 2007. I believe it is already working on Vista.

No smilies

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Actually you were adressing questions to me... that is why I have assessed it as off topic. I am sorry I don't really like to get in this sort of personal attacks :blink:

Yes, Norton is a very good product far away from its "bloated" origins but ZASS has certain advantages over it... as I have explained. "Stay Clear"? "brighter day"? I don't undertand. My post is there and I think its pretty clear, no? :rolleyes:

Sjoeii, didn't really said anything about VISTA, otherwise the answer would have simply: take "NORTON", ZASS is not yet VISTA ready (or wait for ZASS, when its ready). So, fine, NIS is Vista ready. Wouldn't be better to have answered directly to him intead of addressing me? o_O

Cheers,
    Fax

21. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

I used Norton up thru 2005, then switched to ZAISS V6 mainly because I was tired of Norton and wanted to try this new and highly rated (PC MAG) security product. ZA worked well till V6.5 but ever since then it has been a buggy pain - manual uninstalls and reinstalls, resetting the database, virus updates not working, and conflicts with other software. I am now using Nod32, CPF and Spysweeper on my desktop (working flawlessly) but I still have ZAISS V7 on my laptop. There are several bugs in ZAISS V7 and the mantra - "wait till the next version is released and all will be well" is getting very old. When my ZAISS laptop subscription runs out in a few months, it will either be replaced with NIS 2007 or a setup similar to my desktop.

My two cents.

Oldshep

22. Escalader

To avoid the current ZASS issues completely I use the ZA Pro version 7. It works fine most of the time. It has the individual application level screening power that the best of ZA always had, footprint not too deep. Not sure what will happen to the Pro version in the future, so that is an unknown.

I use it with the ASW and email filters turned off. The ASW is home made by Checkpoint so I use it only as an extra on demand scanner. It never finds anything.

Like many here on this forum I prefer individual best of breed AV. So in my case I'm using BD 10. These 2 ZA Pro and BD exist well together.

For active ASW I use SS. it does find things for me and quarantines them.
    These 3 tools all work okay together on my systems. I understand that NOD 32 also works okay with ZA Pro. So one can build their own suite now with no waiting.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Oldshep - Reading your post I thought it was something I wrote for a second. Back in 2004 I got a new Dell Dimension, and installed my Norton 2002 AV. It ran OK, but when the subscription was about to run out I upgraded to Norton AV2005. I won't bore you with the story of BSODs but I ripped it out and after serious reading, installed ZASS v5.5 and thought it was great. It was. I watched the ZA forum to see the many serious problems people had with subsequent upgrades, while I had no problems upgrading right over the old versions. Then I tempted fate once too often and went to v6.5 and the problems started for me. I went through the long clean uninstall process which was formulated by a forum Guru, not ZA staff, and went back to v6.1.744.01, the last safe version for me. To make a long story short, the last thing was that the AV and AS wouldn't up date and I had half of ZASS disabled to make it work. I installed NOD32 and realized what I had been missing with the suite, and just said screw it and uninstalled ZASS altogether, installing Comodo. As soon as I uninstalled ZASS, my computer immediately perked up. I am running lean and mean now. Shut down time went from an average of 28 to 35 seconds to 15 to 19 seconds. Added to Comodo and NOD32 are 3 antispyware apps, SUPERantispyware running real time. :D

24. oldshep

Hello Escalader. I've read several of your posts on the ZA forum I believe. I tried ZA Pro 7 with Nod32 and Spysweeper a few weeks back (ZAP AS off and SS common add sites shield off). Everything was working OK till I ran an on demand SS sweep. The sweep time was terribly slow - especially the first part "scanning memory?". After the scan and a reboot, I got an error saying ZA AS panel failed to load. It loaded OK on the next reboot but I posted on the ZA forum to see what was happening, and was essentially told to remove Spysweeper. I did the opposite and removed ZAP Pro and reloaded my Comodo and have been trouble free since. Glad that ZAP and SS work OK on your machine. I like to use best of breed apps but I fear as time goes on and vendors add more and more capabilities to their products, the incompatibility issues will multiply to a point we will be forced to use suites.

Oldshep

25. oldshep

Hello twl845. I have read several of your posts on this forum and I agree NOD32 and Comodo is an excellent combination. I use Spysweeper mainly out of loyalty because it has kept me malware free for better than 2 years now. People say its bloated but w/ V5.3 and Nod32 and Comodo, my machine is much faster than with ZAISS.

There is a new version coming from Comodo (V3) in the next month or 2 and a suite (?) coming from NOD32 sometime this year, so it will be interesting to see if my security apps continue to work well with each other in the future. But for now, I'm happy to have a setup that keeps my computer clean and that runs efficiently. Not to mention running bug free!!!

Oldshep

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.