Opinion: Why you shouldn't care about Linux on the desktop

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by snowdrift, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Another study paid for by the Redmond Spin Machine. If you have ever tried recent Linux on the desktop you will know that 99% of this is just FUD.

5. quintile

quintile Registered Member

Yeah, he's mainly talking about computers that were SOLD with windows,
    not how many were bought then wiped to put linux on..
    or at least had linux added to them.

"At the least, the brain is an educational toy."
    Tom Robbins

And I like to play! :)

Windows has a learning curve too, I remember being frustrated learning how
    to use it, still learning both windows and linux.
    There's room for a variety of OS...after all we aren't all clones of each other.

Are we?

6. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Do the math. If Linux weren't becoming a viable desktop alternative, people wouldn't be getting paid to write this kind of article.

I don't know who Redmond is trying to convince with this type of FUD. Us or themselves and their stockholders.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

LOL. Another proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Most people do not realize that a strong competition between OSs is a great thing for customers. Just like when the 2-core battle between Intel and AMD started a few years ago. You got more and better products for a lesser price.

If Linux grabs 20% markets, games and software will be of higher quality and cheaper. As simple as that. It's in everyone's best interest that Microsoft remains strong, alongside strong Mac and strong Linux.

They fight and we reap the fruit :)

Mrk

9. Arup

Arup Guest

I see and when Winbloze idiots talk about Linux they are being fair, point is since Linux desktop only has 1% share, why do they even bother comparing or talking about it unless that 1% makes them feel threatned.:D

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I agree, why bother bringing it up in the first place? I also agree with Mrk, the more competition, the better off we are. Variety is great, and competition keeps everyone honest to some extent. We are the winners in the end. :thumb:

11. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Here, here!

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Too bad this somewhat devolved into a "us against them" assault thread, though it is pretty clear the one who posted was looking to stir the pot. I'm a Windows user who has dabbled a fair bit in the world of Linux. Mostly I've been impressed and have it running exclusively on one old, tired machine and dual boot with XP on another (PCLOS on both).

Regarding: this thread I've had nothing but grief trying to get either Ubuntu or PCLOS to work with my latest setup because of graphics drivers incompatibility. It has not been through lack of effort; with no fewer than 8 installs plus one in Virtual box, it has been an exercise in frustration - a virtual decent into the depths of Sodom and Gomorrah. I would like nothing more than to see Linux work on this machine, but it should not be this difficult. BTW, the RC of Win 7 64 bit dual boot with XP is performing near-flawlesly on it. The Nvidia drivers (pre-release) have caused no issues; I'm running SLI on the GPUs. There were no hoops to jump through. No cryptic commands to type.

For whatever reason, perhaps due primarily to better hardware support, Windows out-of-the-box just works better than Linux, though Linux has made terrific strides over the years, it needs some thorough refinement before it mirrors the ease with which Windows can be used. Sure, it may be possible to get certain stubborn programs or drivers to work in Linux by launching some elaborate, abstract terminal commands, but this unwieldy approach just isn't going to be embraced by the majority of those already comfortable in their Windows environment.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Heh, comparing or talking about something means feeling threatened by it?

If we go by your logic (which I disagree with and is completely incorrect, btw), I must say I feel sorry for a lot of people in this forum, especially those who must use terms like Winbloze, Windoze or M$ to refer to the competition to satisfy some deep-seated - but very well-justified - insecurities within themselves.

14. Arup

Arup Guest

See slowly and steadily you are just revealing your true self as Lewmur and others exposed, a rank Winblo$e fanboi, you just pretend to come to this thread and use Linux to peddle Windoze every chance you get, your credibility is now totally gone to the DAWGS. You cook up non existent hardware issues with Linux every time there is some mention about it just to highlight your eternal undying love of being suckered into a costly OS.

As I said, 1% is maiking Winbloze fanbois so insecure that they are spending their precious few CPU cycles sacrificing their AERO time to write all these nonsensical writeups against Linux. Its pointless, Linux is here to stay and they are not into competition or taking away revenues from Windows. They present a free alternative and a refreshing choice of varieties of distro. In your case, it should be one religion across the globe I guess. No one is forcing you to use Linux or asking your money. Use it if you like, don't use. Your charade is now totally UBER.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  15. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You must. Why else would you insist in staying where you obviously aren't welcome?

edit: Oh wait!! I forgot about the money MS is paying you to spread your FUD here!!!

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

lol?

It appears that all it takes for some cloaked Linux fanboys to show their true colors is to point out their faulty logic. It must be hard on you to keep your true self under wraps for so long, Arup. As it is, you're now reduced to insults, claiming credibility, setting up straw man arguments (one religion? lmao? Is that what your OS really means to you?) and accusing other people's perfectly valid issues as being made-up and imaginary just for the sake of salvaging what little respect you can for yourself and whatever it is that you're defending (somehow I doubt it's Linux).

Hmm, I really wonder who's the insecure one here...

Not posting along this line of discussion any further, btw – as previous experience with another idiot (who's now on my ignore list) in this forum has taught me, arguing with fanboys is like mud-wrestling with a pig.

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Please leave and don't let the door hit you hard mr. insecure Windoze Fanboi. All you did was moan fret and bitch worse against Linux, you never used it, just came over here for one and only one purpose, TROLL supreme, you are permanently on my ignore list as well and hopefully we ain't never seeing ya back on the Unix thread for good. Valid issues my foot, all made up fictitious ones just to throw a hammer into the thread, every time your posts have been anti linux and you have just been uncloaked Mr. Wingon.:D

I follow Linux and don't have to hide, I also use XPx64 and don't hide that either, I am well aware of the pros and cons of both OS but Linux is free and a great alternative hope, detractors notwithstanding.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  18. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Shoo Shoo go away. Please get lost. You are super troll here.

19. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Let's do everybody a favor and keep it friendly. There's no reason to get personal on a subject like this.

20. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

One off topic post removed.

Folks - focus on the topic, not those posting.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.