opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dell boy, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

ive just began using opera and i like it more than ff or ie, and pretty good against a rogue i came across, but the reason i came across is because of the lack of add ons, i used to have WOT and mcafee site advisor which kept me from the bad google links, but now i cant find one for opera, also i want a adblock or similar, instead of using the manual block for opera adblock plus was brill for firefox,
    is there something like wot/mcafee advis and adblock for opera?

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

AVG LinkScanner (http://linkscanner.avg.com/) will work in the background, and if a domains contains exploits, then it will block access to them, despite of the fact that it won't show you a green, yellow or red status in your searches.

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

You can get a limited version of WOT with their bookmarklet.

4. m00nbl00d

I, actually, never managed to drag and drop it to Opera's bookmarks. It (Opera) won't allow it. When I drag and drop over Bookmarks, I get a circle with a diagonal line, as in prohibited, I guess. I never tried any further, though.

5. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

7. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Opera has its Widgets but they are not as functional in most cases. They are more like window dressing...:cool:

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Another alternative is OpenDNS (www.opendns.com), which can go through your router. Doesn't slow down your browsing or filter content like AVG LinkScanner can do I believe, but really bolsters your protection against things like bot-nets, phishing and adware, along with actually making it for example easier to use the internet (search in the right moments, etc. - you'll get what I mean once you've used it for a while). It's completely browser independent as it works as your DNS - amazing really. :) You can customize it just as you wish, and I find it to be a great replacement, or new addition for that part if that's what it would be in your case. Completely free service. Just remember to, when you've made an account (this is what let's you customize all the personal belongings and what OpenDNS should do (for you), etc.), register atleast your own network so that it's applied completely to it. This service is trusted and used by lots of members at Wilders.

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I had trouble trying to create a bookmarklet as per following the instructions here - http://www.mywot.com/en/blog/wot-bookmarklet-for-safari-and-opera

I eventually created a bookmarlet, by going into Bookmarks creating a folder 'WOT'.

Then click on Bookmarks > Click on Manage Bookmarks > Right click on folder 'WOT', then create a new folder called 'WOT', again ....but post the following into the address field as follows:

Code:
    javascript:(function()%7Bvar%20f%3Ddocument.getElementById('wot-bookmarklet')%3Bif(f)%7Bf.parentNode.removeChild(f)%3Breturn%3B%7Dvar%20l%3Dlocation.hostname%3Bif(l%26%26l.length)%7Bf%3Ddocument.createElement('iframe')%3Bif(f)%7Bf.setAttribute('id'%2C'wot-bookmarklet')%3Bf.setAttribute('src'%2C'http%3A//www.mywot.com/bookmarklet/'+encodeURIComponent(location.hostname))%3Bf.setAttribute('frameborder'%2C0)%3Bf.setAttribute('scrolling'%2C'no')%3Bf.setAttribute('style'%2C'position%3Afixed%3Btop%3A10px%3Bleft%3A10px%3B'+'width%3A135px%3Bheight%3A235px%3Bborder%3A0%3Bmargin%3A0%3Bpadding%3A0%3Bz-index%3A10487575%3B')%3Bif(document.body)%7Bdocument.body.appendChild(f)%3B%7D%7D%7D%7D)()
    After, you have done this just drag this folder(in Bookmarks) to the Opera "Personal Bar".

You should be right to go!

See attached screenshots:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  12. dell boy

i really appreciate your responses and help, i tried getting avg linkscan and it didnt appear to work for opera, but did for firefox/ie, im sticking with firefox now because of adblock plus/wot/keyscrambler, much safer and for only a little slower its my choice now.
    if/when opera gets an update so it can have the same things as firefox then i will use it, until then its still firefox.
    also im wondering if anyone else has experienced with firefox, when clicking links on other parts of the site like clicking this topic, it loads a blank screen, then if i refresh it works perfect, have been having this with here and another site gamebattles.com which is a good site... just curious

13. m00nbl00d

AVG Linkscanner works with Opera. It actually works with any web browser, under Windows, of course.
    What happens is that Internet Explorer and Firefox will be the only browsers where Linkscanner will display the current page status (while searching in Google, Yahoo and MSN (I also believe you may see the ratings in other search engines as well.).

If you wish, you could try AVG Linkscanner against this exploit test by Exploitation Labs (the company which was acquired by AVG, and the original makers of Linkscanner): http://www.explabs.com/test/

14. Morro

Morro Registered Member

15. dell boy

i do appreciate your help, but i did try testing the link scanner, i searched google with firefox and avg link, searching a commonly know bad site, i searched "cracks serials" and the first one to come up on firefox was red with avg.
    i repeated with opera and it didnt show any marks or warn me, it even allowed me on the site.
    i figured maybe i have set it up wrong, im not going to try fixing or whatever because ive decided firefox is for me for now.
    thanks for your help.

16. m00nbl00d

You're welcome.

Could you test that domain here http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.aspx, just to see if Linkscanner reports the domain has containing any active malicious content?

If Linkscanner detects active malicious content, then it should block access right away. And, in other browsers than IE and Firefox, Linkscanner won't display any red, green or yellow flags.

17. dell boy

when avg said it was red on ff search, it didnt actually say it had malware, just said that it had crack software or something, if you so wish i shall take a screen shot of it saying it..

18. Manide

Manide Registered Member

19. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I like Opera but I would love to delete browser history without having to more or less start from scratch, since all my user-names and passwords have vanished.
    Is there a way to prevent this from happening.
    John

20. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Under Tools->Delete Private Data

you can choose exactly what you want to delete, e.g. history, cookies, wand passwords... :)

21. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

ola nordmann.
    Many thanks. Easy when you know how.
    John

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

There is Dr.Web's link checker which adds a 'right-click' scan in Opera, on any link.

Just a note, looks complex but it's easy as you're only adding the lines that are beginning with 'Item, "Scan link with Dr.Web"' and ending '""'
    http://www.freedrweb.com/browser/opera/

See image and the highlighted lines to add (through copy and paste).
    dw.jpg

23. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

For ad blocking in Opera, does anyone use fanboy's list anymore?

http://fanboy.co.nz/adblock/

Personally, I just use ad muncher for all my browsers- Opera, Chrome, Iron, IE7 and FF. Just add them and forget it.

24. Morro

Morro Registered Member

See post 15. :)

25. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Now, me thinks, we add unto the urlfilter.ini all the sites expoerted from funkytoad's ZonedOut list or a faily easily edited hosts file from hpHosts. Bring up The Proxomitron, and tweak also those config filters, and have fun.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.