Opera vulnerabilities - June 16, 2005

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. WonderingStranger

WonderingStranger Registered Member

Hi Ronjor... ;)

Thanks for the link.

As you know, Opera 8.01 had already been released a few weeks ago now, and as you mention, these vulnerabilities do not affect Opera 8.01

The only change as of today is that Opera 8.01 becomes a recommended security update.

The funny thing is that these issues were fixed from version 8.0 to version 8.01 without anyone having to point the finger (obviously, since they're only discovered now) - that's what I call a very good and honest security policy from the Opera team, because it illustrates their desire to build a secure product in a proactive manner, not as a reaction to some external incentive or critic.

Cheers :)

Edit: Not sure if there is a difference between Opera 8.01 and Opera8.01 Technical Preview which was released a few weeks ago. I had forgotten this was a Techn Preview.

I wonder if these vulnerabilities did exist in the technical preview? Anyone knows? The changelogs mention only the differences between 8.0 and 8.01

I'll have to compare the build numbers.

So, I probably was too quick in my above reply to Ronjor. My apologies.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  3. WonderingStranger

I definitely have to offer apologies.... The tchnical preview was build 7583, while the current official release is b 7642.

Sorry.

They nevertheless reacted rather quickly to the Secunia advisory, didn't they?

Cheers

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Maybe there was a x-day window before the security advisories were made public? ;)

5. WonderingStranger

Hi guys;)...

Yeah, I guess that's a possibility ;)

Anyone knows what Opera is up to when launched directly after install, trying to connect to xml.opera.com ?

What's the point, or the use, and should it be prevented by firewall or what?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.