Opera questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by StevieO, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I installed Opera yesterday on a 98SE PC to find out how it performs. I've tried FF and found it slow to view web pages, and that was without any plugins, with only a few installed it was even worse. My browser of choice has been IE6, but very nicely secured.

Tiny watcher monitors for changes to my system every time i boot, and alerts me to them giving me the oppourtunity to accept or delete etc any of them. This was the first time an install didn't show even one change to my PC !

Not only that but Zonealarm free didn't pop up with a permissions alert for outbound access when i launched Opera ? I had to manually include Opera in ZA's settings, and it does now ask me.

I'm not overly concerned about the above, but i find it very curious and interested to find out why.

Also Opera has taken over as the default launcher for images, PNG/JPG/BMP etc etc. I've tried to locate the settings in Opera to prevent this, but don't see an option to do so. Anybody know how to do this exactly ?

I like to minimise the amount of onscreen real estate that browsers take up, and with IE6 i can. There didn't appear to be a way to accomplish this in Opera, if there is i'd like to know.

How i like and have it with IE6

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5620/ie6sg1.png

How i'd like to have it with Opera

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9734/opkf8.png

So far i've found it very fast to load pages, even though it's consuming extra CPU cycles showing things such as download speed etc etc.

TIA,

StevieO

2. StevieO

It looks like all the previous Opera users have deserted ship !

I've managed to sort out the image takeover problem, but i'd still like to know how i can move the address bar up, if anybody knows who is still using it, or used to ?

StevieO

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I think that set-up would tough with the "tabbed-browsing", but if you go to Opera Community they might have, or be able to design, a skin with those alterations. Good luck, that would be a great set-up that might be possible with opening a new window instead of a new tabo_O

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Not sure if this is what you require

Select <Tools> <Preferences> <Advanced>
    select downloads
    Untick Hide filetypes opened with Opera, this will then show all file extensions
    select the extension type
    click edit tab
    make your choice of what opens it

Edit
    See you sorted it in post2 (I must have thrown a wobbler to miss that)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, right click on a tab and choose detach. It might not be exactly what u want. I can,t tell u more as I just accidently discovered it. I use it with four toolbars- Status( at botom- u can though blend it to address bar), Personal, Tab and address bars. Your best place to ask about this might be Opera forums.

6. StevieO

@ 19monty64

Yes i'm not that interested in tabs, i think windows are better all nicely laid out right on the bottom on the task not taking up any extra viewing area. I might take up your good suggestion and ask over on the Opera Community.

@ Texcritter

No worries, and that's one of the ways i used, as well as changing the setting in my image viewer. I was just surprised that Opera took it upon itself to to that.

@ aigle

That does work, to a degree, great idea. What i can't get it do is move what i want up into just one bar though. I guess they didn't think people would want to do that, as you can in IE.

Thanks for the replies it has helped.

StevieO

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it might not be possible but u must ask at forums. U never know, may be there is some work around.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Let us know if you can achieve that set-up! I'll bet I'm not the only Opera user that would like to have that functionality!

9. StevieO

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well, i could have told you that last one, but i didn't think you'd want that. Tabbed browsing cleaned my desktop from all kinds of windows. I minimize the browser, and it really is minimized, not just one window...

I did look for what you want, i never looked for that (i don't think it's cluttered), and the only thing i found was skins. The problem is there are SO MANY:eek: .

I would ask in the Opera forum, or if you want, i can ask it.

11. noway

noway Registered Member

Here's mine. I have the status bar to the right of the address bar, just after the Go button. My cursor is over top of a link so you can see the status bar content. Tabs are at the bottom and the progress bar pops up at the bottom, only when needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  12. noway

noway Registered Member

If you like my screenshot above, here's my toolbar.ini. Remove the .txt from the file name and copy it to your \Profile\Toolbar folder. Then using Opera menu, Tools-Preferences-Advanced-toolbars and select this one.

Attached Files:

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont mean to hijack this thread but ive been wanting to know: can u position Opera's tab, naviagtion, and address bars so it looks like Firefox?

14. StevieO

@ noway

Hi Thanks and it's yesway now lol. I did what you suggested and only deleted the .txt extension and it worked, but this is what i see ?

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1354/nwgc1.png

Also i killed the tabs at the bottom as i have selected a windows view instead.

What do i need to change in the ini file to get this

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3728/85418018pd3.png

I just chopped up the above images to get a mock up of what i would like.

You have two address bars in your screenshot, but i would only want one as i open each webpage in a seperate window.

TIA

StevieO

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

StevieO: http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#menu : the "toggle menu bar on/off ..."

Or the top of the page: http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons
    From this wiki, i suspect you can do whatever you want with Opera:p
    Also, in Tools- Preferences- Tabs- 'Open Windows instead of tabs' tick it.

WSFuser, maybe take a peak here. Also, in tools- appearance you can custumize toolbars (the where and how) and buttons (functions).

You're making me look at things i never looked for.. maybe it's a good thing

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm using this button now, and even though noway's solution is a good one:thumb: , this button alone i think can do what you want. You click it and the menu is gone, but you can access it with the same button, from its drop-down list (file, edit...)

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well i found operafox, the toolbar config is just what i wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.