Opera: Apple, Ubuntu Should Include Browser Ballot Screen Too

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by progress, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

This crusade against MS is just pathetic. Don't like IE coming with Windows? Develop your own OS and bundle 10 Operas in it if you want.

3. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

That guy is really starting to piss me off, what a whiny little brat, FFS. If he didn't waste so much time on useless **** like Unite and would instead focus on improving the browser. It doesn't work right with half the pages on the Internet :rolleyes:

YOU CAN'T HAVE MARKET SHARE IF YOUR BROWSER IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE INTERNET!!111ONEONEONE

How's that for a hint?

If he keeps whining like a loser I might just have to ditch Opera. I don't want to support whiny losers who waste time on useless garbage and then whine and bitch about not having market share. IE 8 here I *might* come.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This thread really should be merged here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=244919. Now, a couple of points: 1. Opera is compatible with the internet. Let's not get compatibility mixed up with market share and the overall issue at hand. 2. Now Opera is taking a shot at Ubuntu? Uh, way to get the ONLY relevant alternative OS (Linux) on your side dumbass. Oh, and also the ONLY other relevant OS that quite often HAS competing browsers INCLUDED.

Someone quickly fire this guy before Opera's PR gets worse than even the worst of Microsoft's. The more this guy keeps talking, the more he really is going to start making others think "Just what ARE they in this for anyway?". I'm telling you, it's coming. It was coming when they were just messing with MS, but now they want to get the often fiery, no holds barred Linux community pissed off? BAD move buddy.

5. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

dw426, meet hyperbole :D

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You sadly would be surprised at how many actually believe if something on the web doesn't work right, it's the browsers fault. But let's keep to the topic :)

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I don't see why would Opera care about bad PR. The potential benefits of Microsoft being forced to advertise Opera for free is going to cover ten times over whatever Opera might lose from its bout of immature childishness.

Opera knows this, and it also knows that its fanboy base is going to stick through it thick and thin (search the Opera forums to see fanboys agreeing with Opera on the IE logo issue). That's probably the reason they're being as pathetically shameless as they are. They have little/nothing to lose, and a hell lot to gain, and best of all, they have the excuse that they're the underdogs bringing choice and freedom to the Microsoft-oppressed masses.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can't argue with your points, but, at least to those among us that aren't blindly loyal and think Opera or any one piece of software does no wrong, they look horrible, and I honestly believe this will come back to bite them pretty hard. Whether that's sooner or later is yet to be seen, but I believe it will happen. I also believe it's a huge mistake to be bringing Ubuntu or any other Linux distro into this. As far as fanboys, well, what can you do? Idiots will always be idiots.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been useing Opera since their first release Version 2.0 Sure their corporate officers are acting a bit childishly, but what software company hasn't been stupid somewhere along the line. Actually Opera is probably the most internet compliant browser available. If the web sites would quit catering to IE and really complied to the internet standards it wouldn't be an issue. Opera isn't for everyone it is for those that want a fast browser with many built in features without having to install addons. I personally have IE7 and Chromium, FF and Opera installed and none of the others will ever replace Opera no matter how stupid the corporate members of Opera get. It is still and probably will remain the best browser available at this time.

bigc

10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For some of us, product choice isn't merely about the quality of the product. Just as highly-exaggerated examples, I wouldn't use a product that uses underpaid child labor in third-world countries, or one that donates part of their profits to terrorist nations, even if their quality is unmatched.

It's the same with Opera. It's never been my top choice for a browser, and now that the company is resorting to shameless stupidity in the hope that it can substitute hard work, good advertising and high quality, I won't be touching it and will be trying to convince everyone I know to do the same.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Only if people like us spread the word. The majority of the public neither know nor care, and that's exactly what Opera is betting its chips on.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

But see, that's just it, it isn't about being compliant, standards, or any of that for them, it's about media attention and money. Folks keep trying to scoot around the truth by coming up with all these extra ifs, ands, and buts. "If IE was just more compliant with the web", "But IE=internet", we're hearing all these excuses, but very few either know or will admit to the truth, that Opera is in this for exposure and money. Again, I bring you back to this thought: At what point in time has Microsoft ever kept you from downloading Opera or any other browser? If Microsoft never has, and they haven't, then you tell me why Opera has such a low marketshare.

You're forced to use IE for Windows updates, that is all, it is NOT Microsoft's fault that web developers code for IE and not others. What, are we prepared to sit here with a straight face and say that Microsoft forced thousands upon thousands, maybe millions of websites to code only for their browser? If anyone truly believes that, I got a space shuttle in my yard that I'll show you how to pilot and let you take it for a half hour spin.

IE, Firefox, Opera, whatever, being the "best browser" is opinion, no matter who tests every last browser with what tools and tests, it boils down to what works best for the individual.

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Opera is not open source and does not even allow redistribution and cannot be included in Ubuntu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.