Opera and security certificates

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dylanfan, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi

I just saw that security protocols which are activated by default in Opera are ssl 2, ssl 3, and tls 1. (Tools/Preferences/Security/Security Protocols)

tls 1.1 is not activated by default. Why? And is it a good thing to activate it?

Thanks for answers or explanations.

2. Togg

Togg Registered Member

My copy of Opera 9.23 has SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 enabled, and I'm fairly sure I didn't make any changes after I installed it. SSL 2.0 is not checked.

It's interesting to note that IE users still seem to have the option of SSL 1.0 and 2.0, both now well out of date, plus SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0. In Firefox the options are just SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0.

There is an article about TLS at Wikipedia which suggests that TLS 1.1 "is the current approved version of the TLS protocol. TLS 1.1 clarifies some ambiguities and adds a number of recommendations, but remains very similar to TLS 1.0."

Obviously, you can't assume that all Wikipedia content is accurate, but there doesn't seem to be any reason not to be using TLS 1.1 where it is implemented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.