Opera and McAfee VirusScan V5.x

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by peakaboo, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Anyone using Opera and McAfee VirusScan V5.x ?

Are there work arounds for compatability issues?

I'm convinced vshield will spring into action if needed guess I can test this theory somehow using EICAR test file on a download - probably won't work since no payload, but ya never know till ya try.

2. StarFox

StarFox Registered Member

I trialed McAfee VS 7 - no problems with Opera here.
    If I remember correctly, it checks the downloads, but doesn`t integrate with the mailclient M2.
    Anyway, it definitely will catch the nasties when you unpack or open the file.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I used v7 also with no problems. I don't really like to say this but version 5 is just about a dinosaur you really need to upgrade. ;)

4. peakaboo

Thanks. Just curious what did you use as your test?

Go here:

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

and dl eicar.com (benign as you know MD5 = 44d88612fea8a8f36de82e1278abb02f file size = 68 or 70 bytes.) and see if it is caught by v7.

v5 catches fine for me using IE (download scan catches it immediately before it hits hard drive - not bad for a dinosaur :D ) but not Opera (file is downloaded without a peep from Mcaf download scan).

no biggie cause on manual scan it is caught easily.

5. bigc73542

Even if you can update to the latest scan engine and def files the v5 mcafee is not designed to use a lot of the newer def files for the newer worms and virus's. The newer versions 7and eight do have this capability.That is one of the main reasons they keep wanting you to updrade it isn't just them wanting your money all of the time. It is because the older versions just get outdated and can't protect your computer like the newer versions.I don't like it either but that is just the way it is.

the eicar test is not a good indication if your av will detect the newer malware all it basically does is show that your av is working and not disabled.

6. peakaboo

Anyone,

just curious using Opera & Mc v7 where does mcafee catch eicar.com (before or after it hits your hard drive - please don't tell me it does not matter - that is not my question )

just curious if Mcafee is expanding compatability in its later versions to Opera.

scan engine 4.3x with updated dats works fine (except as noted above with Opera - probably beat the pants off of 95% of the vscanners out there - less bloat too )

7. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

McAfee 5.x was one of the best antivirus and still is.

And old antiviruses are good: my mother is still using Norton anti-virus 2001. It has automatic updates, it is slow and no bother to her. What else do you need?

8. peakaboo

For those still using Mc version 5.x go ahead and run the SuperDat to upgrade your engine:

http://www.networkassociates.com/us/downloads/updates/

again Mc v5.x still works well with IE but does not work properly with Opera due to Mcafee authors not extending compatability to this browser. Download & Internet scan not compatable with Opera for my system.

I'm still testing Avast over the past week, and like it alot works well with Opera.

Just tested the eicar.com download and Avast intercepted immediately with Shield set to High. :cool:

Almost ready to make the switch.

9. bigc73542

It is ultimatily up to you to what av you want to run. I just gave you the information that several av companies have sent to my shop to keep me informed as to what their products are capable of since I install quite a bit of av products for my customers. It is still a fact that older versions are not near as capable as the newer versions. Your problem with version 5 and opera is a good example.

10. peakaboo

I think you answered 1 of my 4 questions. o_O

knowing the answer b4 asking the question tends to mitigate frustration. :D

11. bigc73542

Here is a cookie for your patience reading my post's ;)

12. bigc73542

One final post on this subject and I will quit. I am not just bad mouthing your av just for the fun of it. I have a boxed version 5.1 here in my shop and it has the version 4.03 scan engine. I know you can update the scan engine and defs. But like I said earlier you can not update the program. the mcafee av that came with the 4.03 engine was never meant to use the newer type of defs. I don't like to use screen shots on this forum but it will be easier for me to let you know what network associates has to say bout unsupported and end of life products.

Attached Files:

13. peakaboo

One last question before you quit this topic :)

For you or anyone using the latest greatest from McAfee.

Using Opera & latest running McAfee (v7 or 8 ), Go to the Eicar.org site mentioned a few posts up (link below also), and click on the first eicar.com test and tell me what happens (especially if it makes it past the save file prompt).

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

[hr]

for anyone who comes along and reads this, just my 2 cents v5.1 works well IMO, but definitely suggest you go for the engine upgrade using the Superdat link in my previous post - why would they offer this engine upgrade if it did not work?

I may keeping Mc as a backup on demand scanner since it is able to scan stuff which other "free" Avs can't (use the nice add/remove (modify) feature to parse out what I don't need). Dump the console, and scrap download & internet scan since these 2 don't work with Opera.

14. bigc73542

When I had mcafee 7.0 and opera I tried all of the eicar test at their web site and if it was a download file it would pop up a virus found warning just as soon as I clicked save. And than I would have it delete it. Useing eudora mail it would detect the eicar before it saved it to disc. i hope this is the answer to your question.

15. peakaboo

It does. Thank You.

assuming your recollection is correct:

my interpretation of what you said tells me that if Mc v7 did not pop up prior to the save dialogue then either you did not have download scan invoked or Mcafee v7 still does not work properly with Opera.

I'm guessing you had vshield up and that is what caught eicar for you. Caught as a download file (on modify/create criteria)

You may say so what - well going back to my original question of whether latest Mcafee works properly with Opera, based on what you said happened - sounds like the answer is maybe not.

this is what should have happened:

when you click on the eicar.com:

1) Mcafee download scan should have caught eicar.com
    (screen shot)

selecting delete nukes it out of your cache

2) the save dialogue box comes up next which allows you to cancel the download

[hr]

sounds like the problems of mcafee v5.x not working with Opera may continue to atleast the version you trialed v7 i think you said.

if anyone else who runs Opera and latest Mcafee would like to chime in, feel free.

bottom line I think the issue is one of compatability with Opera which may extend to the latest and greatest Mcafee version.

Attached Files:

16. peakaboo

screenie of step 2 from post above

Attached Files:

17. bigc73542

you are right it did pop up the warning at the click on eicar.com not save. My mistake I have used three av's since last month.It does work right with opera.

18. peakaboo

Thank you for confirming.

Have a cookie ;)

19. bigc73542

I went as far to delete panda Platinum and reinstalled mcafee just to double check. But I have always liked mcafee so I will keep it this time. And thanks for the cookie. :D :D *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.