Opera 12 suddenly don't work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Jul 28, 2017.

1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Opera 12.18 suddenly doesn't work on Seven ! This morning it worked, then it doesn't load the pages: only some text on the left, errors.....

So: internet connection works: no problem with other browsers - firewall rules for Opera 12 not changed - tried to uninstall and to reinstall Opera 12 without result - scan disk idem... I can't understand.

2. blacknight

SOLVED ! Do you remember the trick for Google Search for old Opera: [ Go to "opera:config : User Prefs" and copy this line: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 to the "Custom User-Agent" field. Don't forget to click "Save". ] ? Well, this morning I typed it wrong... Now I corrected it and old Opera works fine.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its not a good idea to run an outdated browser.

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I'm still running opera 12.18 myself - no other browser has the configuration flexibility that opera 12xx has.
    Vivaldi is catching up, eventually that'll be opera 12's successor for me I think.
    Meanwhile I suppose it can be fortified with sandboxie or anti-exploit etc.

Thoughts?

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You cannot "fortify" the weak data transmission cyphers in old browsers. If you want comfort that the data you're transmitting to websites will (hopefully) not be compromised, use a modern browser that supports modern TLS cyphers.

6. chrome_sturmen

if it's https then what's the issue? as regards that

7. blacknight

It's the reason for Opera 12 is my main - not the only one - browser. I anyway use a multi layer defense and so far I had not problem. Anyway, I 'm paranoid with security for hobby, but I don't want to be slave of this: It is also for fun.

8. chrome_sturmen

same here , i've used it for some years now and never had any troubles - occasionally there were a couple websites that would not render correctly, but hey that's why we have firefox/chrome et as a fallback

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  9. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Https is working in Opera 12. I am really all not that worried about weak ciphers, it is not used to transmit sensitive information anyway. It is still my daily driver for most of the web. Apart from Seamonkey, there are no more power browsers left and Seamonkey is not as light and flexible as Opera Presto. I finally figured out the fix for the bad fonts issue which is simply to go into "opera:config", and in the "User Preferences" section and tick off "Enable Web Fonts". I am surprised on how many sites still work with Presto, I thought it would be much worse by now but with the web fonts issue solved, it has had a new lease on life for me.

A lot of the Web is just fluff and formatting anyway. Most of the time I'm only really interested in a few paragraphs of text and a couple of photos and I don't need the endless javascript bloat that a lot of websites push these days. With Opera Presto, I just hit the "User Mode" button and it's all gone and I can read what I want in plain text.

10. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Opera 12 is a tad faster than SeaMonkey which is my other browser and has better preferences, though SM is quite good for me too.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

We have to be honest, in my view, Opera 12 can't render 90% of the web correctly anymore. Even if pages are displayed correctly, it takes a lot of CPU time to load many of them, and might even freeze. I only use it for a couple of sites.

12. MisterB

I don't many CPU issues with Opera 12. There is an occasional website that will get stuck in some sort of loop and drive it up but this is after the site is loaded. I'm not really interested in "correct". I'm interested in control and that is what Opera 12 gives me. Correct is a relative term these days with websites looking completely different on different browsers and devices. As I said, most of the web is fluff and bloat that surrounds a few nuggets of content.

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I only use this Opera version, still, on my long in the tooth, XP desktop. ;) I still use it to do my on-line banking, to pay my monthly bills.

14. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Yes, well said :)

15. elapsed

As I described earlier, that's absolutely not safe whatsoever. You shouldn't be doing any form of banking with Opera 12.

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I know, but I believe that I can live with the risk. ;)

17. manolito

manolito Registered Member

This is total nonsense...
    Opera 12 supports TLS up to version 1.2 which is the latest stable version. TLS 1.3 is only a draft right now. From Wikipedia:

What users should do is untick the option to use SSL which is considered to be compromised.

Cheers
    manolito

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Absolute nonsense.
    If the browser uses the correct TLS version and encryption methods then there is no risk.

19. elapsed

I specifically mention the cyphers being supported, and you both retort by bringing up TLS 1.2? Lol. Seems like neither of you understand that supporting the TLS 1.2 protocol is a minor step, what matters is what cyphers are supported.

You can check what cyphers your browser supports on SSL Labs. Opera 12 does not support SHA384 GCM cyphers, new cyphers like ChaCha20, etc. It also puts way too much priority on CBC cyphers which are being phased out.

You are NOT SAFE using Opera 12. If you think otherwise you're just wrong, sorry!

20. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Opera 12.18 supports SHA256 GCM cyphers. Are these obsolete, unsafe?

Opera 12 and Opera Mail security update (Feb 16, 2016)
    https://blogs.opera.com/security/2016/02/opera-12-and-opera-mail-security-update/

21. MisterB

Really?? Safe from what?? That is an empty statement, sorry. There are a lot of factors that would determine whether you are safe or not and the biggest one is what you are doing with the browser. In some circumstances you might be safer using Opera 12 with its built in javascript blocking and ability to control web content than using a newer browser.

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

@Mister B

You are correct in that observation about the safety of a browser, and the circumstances of its use. I still use Opera 12 on my XP desktop, and have done so for years. But, I didn't install that version of Opera on my Surface Book laptop, obviously. ;)

23. chrome_sturmen

Vivaldi is coming along well, eventually I think they will incorporate the same interface customizations that opera 12 has

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.