Opera 11 alpha release... (Has now gone Beta)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Eice, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/10/21/an-important-piece-of-the-puzzle
    http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

A whole bunch of web compatibility issues were solved for me in this release: Asian scripts display properly, Facebook chat works without flickering, and even Hotmail and Google Docs are fairly usable. Extensions support has also landed, even through trying to access the official repository gave me a 404, but I suppose that'll get sorted out soon enough.

Things are looking good for Opera at the moment. :D

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Re: Opera 11 alpha released!

Wow ! :eek: You've beat me to this :oops:

Thanks for your quick information ! :p :thumb:

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Futuremark-Benchmark Peacekeeper

Opera 11 Alpha.png

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Someone beat YOU to Opera news? My god, the sun will fall out of the sky at any minute :D .....in case you wondered, that was a light-hearted joke, lol. Time to test this sucker out!

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

HOLY SMOKE this version is FAST!!!!! wow. i dare say this is actualy faster than chrome this time. with 10.6x or 10.7 chrome for me was for sure still much faster overall but this is def as fast or faster for sure. now i have to watch the memory usage hopefully no leaks this time. otherwise very very nice this may be my main browser

6. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Registered Member

It definitely is faster then 10.63. One thing I am hoping for is that since Opera finally has extensions, maybe fanboy or someone else takes fanboy's adblock list and make it into an extension. Since that seems like what a good amount of people are waiting for.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You can already use the Fanboy list in Opera with no troubles. I AM hoping an AdBlockPlus-type extension shows up though. I had to leave and didn't get a chance to download this yet.

Edit: Are you freaking serious? Opera already has a decently functional "NoScript"-like extension? Geez, VERY smart move there. I can't help but think an ABP extension will come along soon enough.

8. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

I love the added feature under advance-> content - enable plug-ins only on demand.Which disables those annoying flash ads on websites:)

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only issue with that is when legitimate Flash content you want to see also has these Flash ads/streams you'd rather not. Of course, not even a toolo like NoScript can help there.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Purely in a lighter vein ...

I thought I'd never get a chance to read about something that NoScript couldn't do!

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, there's no such thing as perfect software :D

13. zfactor

still testing here and the more i use 11 the more impressed i am.. very nice.

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Er, Opera doesn't have hardware acceleration. Yet.

This is probably the best Opera release to date, but after using it for a day or so... I gave up and went back to Firefox. The lack of app tabs and poor implementation of "open tab next to current" really bugged me. Hopefully there'll be extensions soon to solve these problems.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Okay, fair warning, lol, stay away from External Scripts. Dear lord that's causing me problems. With the Fanboy list and plug-ins set to on-demand, I'm having a good experience with pesky ads and Flash movies popping up in my face. I STILL however am running into problems with browser detection and, though less than my last round with Opera, rendering. Specifically, I keep getting forced to mobile versions of websites that have them. As far as NOTICEABLE speed, it's for once faster than Firefox. I've no clue about Chrome as I don't have it.

Other than that, well, I guess at this point I just don't care about anything else but the extensions. After that it's the same old Opera. Quick, full of options, light, and...boring? Lol, I don't say that to specifically insult Opera, it just doesn't excite me. Of course, I can't say that about any browser, not even my well-used Firefox.

16. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Registered Member

Yeah I made a mistake. I thought they already implemented it, but I guess they haven't yet. It is suppose to be in version 11 at some point though. But it still is faster then the previous version.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Indeed.

Some benchmarks on my ancient laptop: Core Duo 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. All benchmarks performed using a clean profile.

Firefox performed best on Kraken, Chrome on V8 and Peacekeeper, Opera on SunSpider.

Attached Files:

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Eice, is that the 64 bit version of Firefox?

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Would be rather difficult to run 64-bit Firefox on 32-bit Windows, don't you think... :D

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha... Ok. :)

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

A quick postscript to my test: using the latest Tracemonkey build boosts Firefox's score to ~600 on SunSpider, and 1475 on V8. It still finishes last behind Opera and Chrome, though.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

23. Blitzer

Blitzer Registered Member

Those who wish to play with Alpha snapshots, Opera 11.00.1055 is out.
    Nothing against the portable edition, just want to remind that Opera can be installed by default likewise fully portable.

24. zfactor

love opera 11. blazing fast and now with extensions like autofill!!!!! this is just awesome. i know its a alpha but i have to say i have been using it without aby issues really at all since it was released and it runs great. not one crash or anything actually

25. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Autofill WOW! o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.