Opera 11 alpha - external scripts extension.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Anybody able to tell me how this works in Ubuntu 10.10 ? Other scripts I have tried so far work OK.
    Plse. see my posts here. http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=776432&t=1287853297&page=2#comment7451242

It's working now, had to remove Flashblock from the userjs folder. However what is the point in having this extension as all scripts from all domains are initially allowed (unlike the great NoScript add-on for Firefox) ? Also I need to find out whether the blacklisted scripts are remembered when next visiting a site. :thumbd:
    Edit:- They will be kept provided one unticks 'Delete Persistant Storage' in the Delete Private Data window (from Tools menu)

Opera11 ext. scripts.png

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

What's really lousy with this alpha version is that javascript must be enabled permanently.
    If I untick 'Enable JavaScript' in the Preferences>Content section and then try to enable it for individual sites via 'Edit Site Preferences' the browser crashes everytime.
    Should this persist in the final 11 release I can't see myself using Opera again.

The external scripts extension is useless and I feel much safer only enabling javascript for those sites that need it and are trusted by me. That and the Flashblock userjs are all I need (as in my 10.63 version).

I know Opera 11 is an alpha so maybe things will improve. Otherwise it's Chromium and Firefox for me.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

To be fair, it's the same in NoScript. Javascript must be enabled in Firefox preferences, or else NoScript won't work properly. That being said, yes, External Scripts is really crappy right now. Whether that is due to the browser being Alpha, the extension being Alpha, or both, I don't know. I have my own issues with Opera that, despite release after release, persist. I have no idea when or if it will ever change. To be fair to Opera though, you don't NEED to install any extensions. In my case, NoScript is far less time consuming and easier to deal with than editing it in ANY browser preferences.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Of course NoScript is fantastic :cool: You have to whitelist to allow, unlike the external scripts ext. where all is allowed until changed - so there is no risk in having js enabled when you have NoScript which requires it to do its job.
    I also have persistant Opera issues, some sites not displaying as intended, but rather minor in 10.63. Apple trailers work nicely in both Firefox and Chromium/Chrome but not with Opera, need to go to HD trailers for those, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.