Opera 11.5 gets full hardware acceleration on XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pliskin, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2011/02/28/webgl-and-hardware-acceleration-2
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/opera_browser/4274431.htm
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/979048-opera-webgl-and-hardware-acceleration-experimental-build/

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

+1 :thumb:

Against the big boys and financial muscles of Microsoft (IE) and Google (Chrome), this Norwegian Opera company which is solely focused on browser software continues to innovate and set the benchmarks ! :thumb:

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

For those who want to give it a spin, download here directly. :p

Remind us all that this is a developmental snapshot and there will be bugs in this release. *puppy*

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey that's great..
    opera don't forget XP users

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im hoping they will (that goes for most developers) that way XP can die off like it should so resources can stop being wasted on an old and outdated OS

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that in the present economic climate many institutions (schools, colleges, hospitals etc) won't be able to afford to upgrade their respective hardware to run Win 7. The alternative is to keep running XP or change to Linux I suppose.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I disagree, a lot of places already upgraded hardware years ago for Vista. You may see businesses/libraries/etc with the "made for Vista" sticker but they simply image it with XP.

If it can run Vista, we all know it can run 7 fine. :D

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yep, my old school all had the vista sticker and relatively new systems but choose to run XP, my university tho is a bit smarter and runs windows 7 on many of the computers (i think only one computer lab still runs XP)

9. Daveski17

I know that you need at least a Gig of RAM to run Vista/Seven, but many of the computers I have used in colleges just don't have that. The ones that have upgraded hardware are almost all inevitably running Seven. My local library's computers couldn't run Vista/Seven. So unless they upgrade their computers they are stuck with XP.

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Contrary to what is posted above and claimed, it is clear that Windows XP is still very much in use and we should appreciate that Opera has included it in its latest browser development. Thanks to Opera for its inclusive culture ! :cool:

I am typing this reply on my Windows XP.:p

11. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey bud i used on an old pc,and guess what.only complain is the slow boot.
    i like to watch soccer games on pc..it runs a lot better than any other browser..almost no freezings.

12. Daveski17

Well, in my country at least, there are a lot of institutions who would probably upgrade to Win 7 if their computers had the capability. The plain fact of the matter is that the computers themselves just don't have the RAM for Vista/Seven. The computers are working well enough with XP & most people are happy enough with it as an OS. There is no immediate need to upgrade, & in the current economic climate, no real incentive to. I'm pretty sure that there are many home users who have perfectly good computers that also don't have the RAM for Vista/Seven. Again, what with austerity measures & impending unemployment for many, there is no real incentive to upgrade something that works perfectly well.

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Running Opera 11.01 stable release version on my old trusty Windows XP OS and rock stable and very fast.:thumb:

14. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

If they're happy with their old OS then they should be happy with old software too. There's no reason why developers focus on harnessing all the new features of Vista and 7, instead trying to find a solution that works on a 10 year old OS too.
    That and the fact that Xp is too insecure nowadays.

15. Daveski17

I suppose it is more a matter of economic reality than being happy with an old OS. What I really meant was that if you can't afford a new, more powerful PC that has the necessary RAM to run Vista/Seven, then you have to settle for running XP or switch to a Linux distro (or something). Many people do actually prefer XP to Vista/Seven. Unfortunately, as you point out, XP has some security problems later MS operating systems don't have.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I agree :thumb:

They should've focused on supporting WebGL on more current platforms first imo.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I disagree :thumbd:

They are focused on supporting OpenGL on OS's that are being used today which includes Windows XP, etc., imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.