openvpn(tcp) can't connect to internet, upn can

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by donintn, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donintn

donintn Registered Member

I am a total newb to vpn. I started using IPvanish a few days ago. They have software you download and sets everything up for you.
    Everything seems to work great except I can't connect to the internet using the Openvpn(tcp). I can connect using openvpn(udp), l2tp and pptp, it is just the tcp.
    Looking at my network settings , when I connect using the udp or tcp, they both use my "local connection 2".
    Strangely, to me anyway, when connected using the udp, in my network settings (windows 7), it shows me as not having a connection in the graphic -
    "This computer -----multiple networks xxxxxx internet "

but I do have an internet connection.

When trying to use tcp, same thing, but no internet connection.

I am guessing this is not enough info, but not sure what else I need to let u know.....told u I was a total newb to using a vpn :)

also, sorry if this is the wrong place for this.....
    ipvanish gives me great speeds, I don't even notice a difference and doing just those quick dna leak tests, everything appears to be fine, and I have yet to drop a connection unless i did it myself, but apparently there is virtually zero support as no onme there has got back with me about this....but , love the speed and no dropped connections, so I guess i may just end up learning about vpn's and connections....

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm assuming that IPvanish's client software is set up and working properly -- in particular, that it's using valid combinations of server address, port number and connection type (TCP vs UDP).

In that case, it's possible that your ISP is blocking TCP connections on the port that IPvanish is using. If there's nothing in IPvanish's support documentation, you could create a support ticket.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I would first try right clicking the IPVanish shortcut and going to properties and running it as an administrator always. I would second see if changing the port on the TCP connection to 443 and see if that works, as 443 is your default HTTPS port all banking software uses which would be almost impossible for your ISP to block as your ISP defaults to using TCP anyway. If that does not work you can try TCP over port 1194 as this is your default UDP port which you may be able to use TCP over the 1194 UDP port and get it to work that way. You can try them both. ;)

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It does depend on what ports IPVanish's server is listening on. Some VPN services use only nonstandard ports.

5. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

Since you don't mention it :
    Are you running a firewall and is openVPN allowed in it ?

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I think you can set them in the IPVanish client.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.