OpenVPN set up on android

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by popcorn, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

I have recently bought an Android phone, I would like to run OpenVPN rather than PPTP.#
    I have installed the OpenVPN app and installed the .opvn file, the problems starts with not been able to extract the .ca.crt file...
    Can anyone point me at a good guide or a privacy pro Android provider pls.
    Non rooted Android 4.4.1

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I noticed that Private Internet Access has tutorials for Android.

-https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/108/openvpn-configuration-on-android-instead-of-pptp-ipsec

3. popcorn

Hey thanks :)
    I have successfully signed up and got connected which is awesome,
    I was banging me head off the wall trying to set this up with other providers.
    Thanks again :thumb:

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

For AirVPN, I download the config files with *embedded* certs. Then I import them with the OpenVPN for Android app by Arne Schwab. Works fine. There is now an OpenVPN Connect app, by OpenVPN IIRC, but I haven't used it.

PD

5. popcorn

I was trying to use the OpenVPN Connect app but couldn't import my VPN's .ca.crt,
    using the guide mirimir posted I set up using the OpenVPN for Android app, I still need to change the server to a more local to me one but I am really happy with the speeds etc also privateinternetaccess.com seem a pretty good provider.

Edit: Android is new to me so this is definitely a steep learning curve.

6. PaulyDefran

Try the Arne Schwab version and see if that works better. It will also handle separate certs, as I used it that way in the beginning.

PD

7. popcorn

Will do :thumb:
    Thanks

Edit:Doh!! that's the version I'm using now, the only version I have had any joy with. I would recommend this version over the others.
    I suspect the mobile data use is going to be quite high because of the keep alivepackets sent every 10 secs or so.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  8. popcorn

I noticed high battery consumption whilst connected to OpenVPN, after a little bit of research I have found that this is a common issue with OpenVPN and Android and that it's caused by the keepalive packet sent every ten seconds keeping the mobile radio network busy.
    To try and counter this I have turned the keepalive packet interval up to 300 secs, I am monitoring this and will post findings here.
    Has anyone else got any work arounds for this ?

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Could you just use WiFi whenever possible?

10. popcorn

I try to I also have a mobile data kill switch which I hit when I leave the house, however the OpenVPN client is still awake and sending packets which is quite heavy on the battery, The only alternative it seems is to block mobile data and turn the OpenVPN client off.
    To be honest securing an Android phone is not all plain sailing. :doubt:

11. PaulyDefran

There is an option to try to use 3G or not, when leaving WiFi...you can uncheck that and see what happens. Or just shut it down when not using it. It doesn't use battery when it's off. I don't run mine all the time, only when I don't want my provider seeing what I'm doing. If you are rooted, you could try using OrBot and see if that is any better on battery.

PD

12. popcorn

Orbot is really good on battery and works well Tor is still pretty slow though for day to day use.
    I will try disabling 3G, Ideally I would like to be able to run a VPN all the time, a VPN only browser could be the way to go maybe...

13. popcorn

I have found that by using Battery Defender https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.batterysaver&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm1vYmkuaW5mb2xpZmUuYmF0dGVyeXNhdmVyIl0.
    I can run OpenVPN on my Android device without any noticeable extra battery consumption :)
    Battery Defender stops all network activity when the screen closes and re-allows it upon awaking the phone, this is as good a solution as I have yet found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.