openSUSE 11 - Review & Tutorial

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

It's been more than 2 years since my last review / tutorial on SUSE.

You can read the old stuff here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139146

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_suse.html

Now, I've made another pass, this including the use and installation on a laptop, so you can expect to see the following:

Wireless support, multimedia support (MP3, Java, Flash, VLC, K3B, DVD), NTFS support, Samba sharing, virtualization - VMware Server, including running Windows and Linux guests from remote Windows and Linux machines, all using wireless, games, an extensive guide on partitioning and installation and the use of the Updater (updating system, adding repositories, zypper), and more.

Best of all, for the first time, I have an ATI graphic card, so there you go! The installation of ATI drivers and the subsequent fun with Compiz Fusion!

And lots more.

Take a look:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-11-1.html

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Mrk, that's one nice tutorial, I can see you put a lot of work into that one. I had some trouble with the ATI graphics on SUSE 11 also, so that was helpful. Thanks for all your hard work. Very nice... SUSE is one of my favorites....

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I may try Suse again soon. last time i tryed it i tryed to install drivers for my old nvidia graphics card. i used this link there is an ati one here

once i had done the one click install for nvidia legacy drivers i had to go out so i shutdown the computer. when i turned it back on X wasnt setup right and wouldnt start. I may see if I can install the drivers the way you did for ATI drivers in your Tutorial.

may wait until 11.1 comes out next month.

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Excellent review. openSUSE is my favorite. I do believe openSUSE will catchup to ubuntu's usability in 11.1 or 11.2.

Ubuntu takes the "make it work" approach and openSUSE is always trying to add its own features or custimizations (e.g. menu).

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Last time I installed 11, I had the ATI drivers working, but just didn't know how to get 3D going. So I thought I was stuck with 2D. I will try it again soon.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

OpenSUSE is one of my favorite distro's.
    I select Gnome as desktop environment, though. OpenSUSE offers a single-panel desktop with Gnome, which I like better and I'm fond of the SLAB menu.

Today I found a feature that got me curious, it's the option to make the extended partition bootable, I wonder if anyone has experience with that?

Screenshot-Boot Loader Settings - YaST.png

[edit] Which seems to work...

Screenshot-wilbert@linux-b8rd:~.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Excellent review Mrk, txs!:thumb:

Regards,

Smokey

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Thanks all.

Have never tried to make the extended partition bootable, seems like an interesting concept. Will be doing some experimentation with it.

Mrk

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I never knew that the extended partition is bootable, until I tried yesterday. The extended partition is a primary partition after all, but with a specific purpose and different layout.

This sure creates more options, I like to keep the MBR untouched and manage booting with active partitions.
    (Easier to deal with when I reinstall Windows, that always writes to the MBR)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.