OpenSolaris 2009.06 available

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by dan_maran, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yes, it does look interesting. I will have to give this a whirl in virtualbox.

3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I burned it and played a little.

- It looks as though it has gotten a bit more polished, new wallpaper revamped Nimbus theme along with a Dark & light version also.
    - Boot times were decent from a CD, recognized 4GB of ram which was nice.
    - PKG searching/installing was quick

Things I didn't like right off the bat:
    - Fonts, they look awful. enabling LCD Sub-pixel smoothing was useless, full hinting was a joke.
    - There were no power management features enabled at all really, this was on a Thinkpad so I am not really surprised. I don't know if Thinkpad ACPI is ported
    - Fonts in Firefox looked even worse, by a long shot, than the gnome defaults. I played with it a bit but gave up.

Overall it is a nice improvement over 2008.05 many steps in the right direction and it is quickly improving. Is it something that Linux needs to worry about? Not anytime soon in my opinion, we have no idea how this whole oracle debacle is going to effect this in the long run.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Opensolaris has never worked on my computer. Asus P5K-wifi motherboard,2Gb ram,Quad core Q6600 cpu,nvidia 8800gt graphics card.
    it tries to start and give the error cannot start console login services and the one other error message but cant remember what atm.
    It works fine in virtualbox and the live cd is quite fast. hopfully the install time is better in this release. older versions installs took ages.

I do like opensolaris but linux has much better hardware support and is faster.

other than ZFS what benefits does anyone feel opensolaris has over linux?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I had the same problem here with 2008.5. It would not recognize my SATA DVD drive. 2008.11 fixed this issue for me, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.