OpenPGP & Enigmail problems..

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Xpirex, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xpirex

Xpirex Registered Member

Hi, i just installed OpenGPG and Enigmail on a Macbook Pro (10.8.5) and everything works fine.

Except one thing. Every single email I now send to anyone is automatically encrypted. I have disabled 'Sign Message' and 'Encrypt Message' in the OpenGPG menu but every message is still signed and encrypted. How can I disable this so that I can choose to encrypt on a message to message basis or maybe just auto encrypt to certain specific email addresses only?

I am able to decrypt all my own messages sent to my other emails and I have a friend that can decrypt and read all of my messages but I can not decrypt or read any of hers even though I have imported her public key. How can this be? She is on a Windows system.

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

I think this might be what you're looking for:

In Thunderbird

Go Address Book > Create OpenPGP rule and set "Use the following OpenPGP keys" to none (for those contacts you don't want to use it with)

And then take a look in Account Settings > OpenPGP Security > and make sure everything is setup ok in there such as "encrypt messages by default" is unchecked (that might be the one doing it).

3. Xpirex

Xpirex Registered Member

Thank you Veeshush, I was up all night playing with it and managed to work it out. :) It was the "encrypt messages by default" option.

When I opened Address Book ads you suggested i could not see any option to edit any rules though.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Yeah, personally I'm pretty new to OpenPGP. I had an issue myself recently where my inbox messages were garbled, so I had to go View > Message body as > Plain Text.

Right click on a contact and it should show up (but I'm on Win7 so it might be different on your Mac).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.