OpenOffice is more dangerous than Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dog, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/07...-french-fry-openoffice-with-microsoft-office/

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Microsoft Office is the pioneer program in this field, since it has been around longer than OpenOffice, so Microsoft has more experience in this field. OpenOffice was designated as an alternative to Microsoft Office only.

I guess the majority of organisations still use Microsoft Office. But remember Microsoft Office has had its share of security problems too.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Java and Macros have to be allowed by user in OO to be able to run. BTW, MO has macros too.

4. dog

dog Guest

For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade Oo for MO at all --- I just saw the article on Linux News and decided to share it. Open Office will overcome any short comings in time ... I'm all for software freedom. :)

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I am with Dog on this. I even made a purchase of StarOffice a few years ago. I wanted to contribute to the cause. There should always be a open source alternative that can read and write to MS Office Products. Otherwise MS can charge any price it wants with no alternative. Read OpenOffice.org Mission Statement on there website. You will see.

I am a big believer in OpenOffice Alliance. ;)

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not surprised by this. Any software is vulnerable and what common is for all softwares doesn't interest me.
    If OpenOffice is vulnerable, they will fix it just like they do with Firefox and all the other softwares.

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Just another sign that open source software is moving up in the world and becoming more important, i see this as a positive development. :)

8. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

the headline worried me as I've moved my personal machines to Oo_O. However it's not the vulnerabilities it's how they are responded to that matters. Let's sit back and watch.

Fairy

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Maybe I'm stupid ... but I didn't see any links to the test themselves. Could anyone provide them. Or is the article just a blank statement?
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.