opening one part of a backup set?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nelsonm, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nelsonm

nelsonm Registered Member

Hi all,

I thought i had created a single image backup but appearently created a 2 file backup set. I deleted the first one and now i can't open or mount the second file. When i try to open the archive, it wants me to "Please, locate volume 1".

Is there a way to open one file of a backup set?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nelsonm,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The most probable reason for the issue is that your destination hard drive has FAT32 file system. FAT32 supports 4GB file size. That's why the archive is divided into several parts.

Also you can check the archive splitting value in default backup options.

You are unable to retrieve the information from the backup file if one of the parts of the archive has been deleted.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. chills

chills Registered Member

So if I want to verify the multi-file archive, or do a restore, do I need to do each file in turn?

Similarly, do I need to mount each file in the Acronis app if I want to look at the individual folders and files? I'm using WinXP ...

Duh - I guess I should have read the docs for the external drive before I used it! Then I'd have known it was pre-formatted FAT32 and not NTFS!!

Thanks in advance.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chills,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

In order to restore multi volume backup archive you should select the last volume from the set, no need to select all parts for restore.

The same goes for mount option, select the last volume for mount in order to find necessary files/folders for restore.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. chills

chills Registered Member

Thank you for the reply -- that makes it clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.