"opening" emails

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by rj2012, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rj2012

rj2012 Registered Member

I always thought that you had to open an attachment or click a link within an email in order to be exposed to a potential virus. In other words running an executable. So what's the deal if using a preview pane in Outlook? When an email comes in and is highlighted is the preview pane actually opening the email and does that expose a person to risk?

I would think that just viewing an email with the preview pane is not exposing a person to risk - you still have to "run" the virus. Am I way off base on this - can a virus be triggered simply by opening the email regardless of attachments or links within the mail?

Thanks.

Russ

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

rj2012

Welcome to the forums.

Put this phrase in google "preview pane in email" and see what kind of answers you get.

You probably should turn off the preview pane. :)

3. rj2012

rj2012 Registered Member

Thanks. I had a brain cramp there! I ALWAYS google questions that I have but for some reason it didn't even occur to me this time. It was one of those proverbial 'Why didn't I think of that?' moments when I read your post!

Maybe I just wanted to subconsciously go direct to the experts at Wilders!

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I am familiar with brain cramps. :) Happens quite often to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.