OpenDNS not working for me

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Arcanez, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Hi,

wanted to Change my dns yesterday to OpenDNS so I went to the router Interface and pasted the dns ip addresses there like I did with Norton DNS before. When I visit one of those test URL's to see if OpenDNS is working the Website says something like "Oops, you're not connected to OpenDNS, Let's fix that". Also Content that I defined in my opendns account to be blocked isn't blocked at all. It seems my router doesn't really care about the opendns Servers that I pasted in there.

When I had a different ISP with dynamic IP I remember that OpenDNS worked without any Problems for me but since I have an ISP that offers static IP's (cable/broadband whatever you want to call it) it doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?:blink:

2. richnrockville

richnrockville Registered Member

Arcanez, some isp's provide you a static IP as well as a Gateway along with the DNS servers. Some won't work without their own DSN server in your router. It might be automatically setting the dns server an there might not be much you can do about it. I would check with your ISP and ask them if it is possible to use your dns servers.

Rich

3. Arcanez

strange Thing is Norton DNS works for me. I always test it out on those nasty battlenet fake emails and most of the time Norton dns blocks the page...I don't understand really why OpenDNS doesn't work like that.

Regarding the Gateway. When I type Ipconfig in cmd.exe it says that my router is the Standard Gateway. When I log into the router's Interface there's another Gateway mentioned in the Status tab which is not the router's IP...

4. Arcanez

got it now finally! Although the first test page still says I'm not connected the other two sites work for me. Also pages that I set to be blocked in my account are not loaded anymore in the browser. Great.

All I had to do was uncheck "DNS Relay" in the router.:thumb:

5. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

Today, whats dns is more recomended?

I have been using OpenDNS for a year and now i am testing norton dns.

which is the best option with malware protection? I dont need filter content.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have found that Norton is better for malware, but it slower to update records and a slower service overall. The speed is not enough to disqualify it, but for me the problem was the slowness with which they update their records. New domains would not get into their system for days and therefore would be inaccessible.

7. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

I dont know that abaut Norton DNS, but when i change my hosting server OpenDNS update new IP faster than my ISP and Google DNS.

Norton has better malware protection but really it is? A malicious url is detected by Norton and update fastly?. This is my doubt.

OpenDNS works OK for me during a year, i have doubts with norton DNS and i am thinking whether to change to norton or not.

Google DNS is fast but i dont like it..... we give to google a lot of data, google searchs, google analitics and now google dns.... we give to more data to google.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.