Open SUSE guide for Ubuntu users

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://opensuseadventures.blogspot.in/2012/04/opensuse-guide-for-ubuntu-users.html

Installer
    The Ubuntu installer excels at simplicity... and that is part of its downfall. That and its instability. Our installer is actually part of our YaST graphical system utility suite. It is old, but always updated, and offers many highly advanced options for your installation. However, it is still simple and attractive enough for anybody with a smidgen of experience. We have a Live CD, and a DVD for openSUSE. The installer differs slightly on the two platforms. If you know your hardware well, use the DVD since it has some more options you may appreciate. I want to point out a few things you may miss, and that I think are particularly nifty

o_O?

Instability......never ever did I find Ubuntu or any Debian based installer to ever crash in my lifetime of installing Ubuntu or Debian. This guide is a joke, its a direct attack on Ubuntu, guess SUSE devs now are truly feeling left out in every sense. In terms of simplicity and robustness nothing comes close to dpkg except for Arch's pacman. YAST is a nightmare to manage in terms of installation, managing repositories or general system administration. It doesn't come close to the simplicity of adding a PPA and let all the dependencies and packaging get taken care of automatically. If SUSE wishes to be a popular distro, let them fix all these issues before they embark on direct mud slinging on Ubuntu.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm not sure how author is affiliated with OpenSUSE. He claims to be an ambassador.

Longish quote: "I made mention of being an Ambassador for openSUSE. For those of you who aren't aware of what that means, I'll elaborate. We are a subdivision of marketing, and serve as 'customer relations liasons', 'product evangelists' and we often represent openSUSE at Linux and FOSS events in our local areas. I became an Ambassador after running into a fellow Geeko at a friends birthday party, who is an Ambassador and explained it to me. I had wanted to contribute since I felt I should give back to the people who have given me such a wonderful operating system for free. My lack of technical skill made the role of Ambassador ideal, since it doesn't require a truly advanced understanding; though a good abstract understanding and knowledge of the work-flow is important."

And I know the definition of an ambassador being one who lies abroad from his country ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. linuxforall

Ha ha ha ha........priceless quote Vasa. :D

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I would have hollered about taking someone's opinion way too seriously and making a rant post basically...but then you highlighted that little gem. Probably shouldn't be making guides and talking about technical issues if you don't have a lot of know how.

5. linuxforall

This post was highlighted due to the fact that the person is posting it as self proclaimed ambassador of SUSE, its in the later's interest this kind of sham post be put in limelight. Opinions when written on net are taken seriously especially by first time users who are foraying into Linux and this kind of garbage is spewed all over the net.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

On a lighter note, if a newbie intending to try out Linux gives importance to even 1% of what's posted by Linux users, he or she will be put off forever.
    We've argued about this before, but unless the Linux wannabe is technically savvy and self-opinionated to a large extent or has a guru at hand, trying to get any sort of consensus out of what's on the net will lead nowhere fast.
    (In my case, I made the move as soon as I signed up for an "unlimited" internet connection (and being self-opinionated helped).)

7. linuxforall

Ubuntu and Mint make it easier for an absolute Linux newbie, telling them that Ubuntu is not stable will move them out of that forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.