Open ports on router?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by stevlo, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevlo

stevlo Registered Member

hi,everyone.hope this is the right area for my question?Anyway,i just bought a wireless router,and i downloaded a tool from your recommended port scanners,and i performed a scan on my pc for open ports,and it found a total of 28 open ports.I no nothing about routers,and how to close these ports,and i wanted to know if this is something i should worry about?and how do i go about closing these ports if this is the recommeded thing to do?Im just learning and i would appreciate all the advice given.I also have zone alarm running with the router,and of course nod32 as an Av. :D

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It might be best to read the manual that came with the router and or help files. My linksys wireless does tell how to configure the router maybe yours will also. ;)

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi stevlo

Using a port scanner on your own system to scan it is different than having a remote system scan you. Scanning your own system is done locally and will not reflect any firewalls/routers in place. The same results could be obtained using netstat or a port mapper.

If you want to test how your configuration appears to the outside you have to be scanned by a remote system. In this post, Tassie's Tests/Tutorials/Topics/Tips Sites, you will find a list of sites you can go to have your system scanned.

A port mapper would help you see and understand what is going on with those open ports:
    Port Explorer
    Vision
    Active Ports

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.